April 6, 2009

Individual Performances Carry Red Past Crimson

Print More

The No. 3/4 men’s lacrosse team was aided by four goals each from seniors Max Seibald and Chris Finn and solid goaltending from backup netminder senior Jake Myers to overcome an early four-goal deficit to Harvard and finish with the win, 13-12, on Saturday afternoon at Schoellkopf field. Seibald’s and Finn’s four goals each were career-highs, and Myers, subbed in to replace starter senior Kyle Harer, notched four saves and allowed one goal in just under 20 minutes to seal the win.
One week after struggling at face-offs, Cornell (7-1, 3-0 Ivy) won 15-of-27, thanks largely due to senior midfielder John Glynn’s impressive pain tolerance. Glynn played through a fractured left elbow that kept him out for just one game to win 12-of-21 face-offs. Seibald won 3-of-5 at the X.
“[Harvard face-off man Christian Oberbeck] was switching up his moves a lot,” Glynn said. “I was trying to scrap my butt off. It wasn’t pretty, but it worked.”[img_assist|nid=36584|title=He shoots, he scores|desc=Senior Max Seibald (42) scored a career-best four goals against Harvard Saturday.|link=node|align=left|width=|height=0]
Earlier in the week, there was some doubt as to whether or not Glynn would play, and it was expected that he wouldn’t be able to face off for an even longer period of time. It was ultimately a midweek decision made after doctors said he could play as soon as he could withstand the pain. Glynn also picked up a career-high 10 ground balls.
“In true John Glynn fashion, he came in and played the part of a warrior,” said head coach Jeff Tambroni. “He did a lot more than we expected of him today.”
Harvard (5-2, 1-1 Ivy) scored four unanswered goals to go up 6-2 late in the first quarter. The Red fought back in the second quarter however, and junior attackman Ryan Hurley’s goal brought the Red to within one, 7-6, at halftime. Hurley, always a threat from close range, grabbed the rebound from a Glynn shot out of the air and beat Harvard goalie Joe Pike with a low shot.
Seibald scored the first goal of the second half to tie the game at seven, but back-to-back tallies by Harvard gave the Crimson the two-goal lead. Then Seibald came up big again, plowing through three defenders and bouncing the ball past Pike to draw the Red within one.
Seibald said that even when Harvard jumped out to its early lead and fought hard for every goal, the Red never folded.
“No one thought we were going to lose,” he said.
With the Red down 11-10 in the third period, Tambroni pulled Harer for Myers, whoeneded up making several big saves late in the game.
“You have to always expect [to be put in the game], always prepare for it,” Myers said of his role as a backup goalie after starting last season. “You have to show up expecting [Harer] to have a bad game.”
Tambroni said he wanted to stick with Harer, who has played well all season, for as long as possible, but eventually felt the need to make the move. Harer had impressive games against Duke and Virginia, but made just two saves while allowing 11 goals in roughly 40 minutes on Saturday.
“You want to stay as long as you can to give Harer an opportunity to prove himself,” he said. “We just needed a boost of energy defensively.”