Track Takes Top Awards At Quaker Invitational

If this Saturday’s performance in the Quaker Invitational, hosted by Penn, is indicative of what the future holds, then Cornell should be very excited about its chances in the Ivy League championships, which will be held at the same venue in less than a month. While the men finished first in seven events at the Invitational, the women captured five first-place finishes.
Sophomore Katie Sullivan won the 5000-meter run with a time of 17:54.54. Senior Rachel Kirsch’s time of 11:20.69 was good enough for first place in the 3000-meter steeplechase. Junior Jessica Weyman won the 400-meter hurdles in 1:01.35. Senior Maria Matos won the discus throw with a distance of 49.50 meters, and junior Natalie Gengel won the pole vault competition with a jump of 3.85 meters.
On the men’s side, sophomore Adrien Dannemiller captured the 3000-meter title with a time of 9:26.67. Senior Marcel Van Eeden won the 400-meter dash in 47.49 while freshman Bob Belden won the shot put competition with a throw of 16.89 meters. Junior Scott Jaffee won the discus throw with a distance of 54.35 meters. Junior Duane Teixeira won the long jump event with a distance of 7.27 meters. Senior Aaron Gadson won the triple jump of 14.76 meters and classmate senior Garrett Huyler won the high jump competition with a leap of 2.03 meters.