Sports Briefs: Track and Men's Soccer

Track Teams Find Success at Bucknell, Tenn. Weekend Invitationals
The men’s and women’s track and field teams faced tough competition and even tougher weather conditions, to post successful weekends at two different invitational venues.
After rain delays at the Sea Ray Relays at the University of Tennessee, senior Garrett Huyler continued his spring season of great performances in the high jump, placing second with a clearance of 7-0 1/2. Senior Andy Miller qualified for NCAA Regionals in the 1500, finishing third with a time of 3:46.93.
Highlights from the women at Tennessee included senior Jeomi Maduka winning the triple jump and finishing second in the long jump. Junior Jessica Weyman finished fourth in the 400 hurdles and qualified for the ECACs with a time of 60.94.
At the Bucknell Invitational, sophomore Nate Edelman won the 10,000 meters, posting the sixth-best time in Cornell history (29:31.93). In the field, junior Duane Teixeira won the long jump with a leap of 23-8 3/4.
Also at Bucknell, Cornell senior Maria Matos won the discus, while sophomore Anna Scull won the 800 with a time of 2:13.00. Sophomore Mecha Santos finished fourth in the 100 and eighth in the 200. In total, the two meets saw 12 ECAC and six NCAA qualifiers for the women.

Jaro Zawislan Named Head Coach of Men’s Soccer Team

Director of Athletics Andy Noel announced yesterday that Jaro Zawislan has been named the new head coach of the men’s soccer team. Zawislan, a Polish native, has spent the past seven seasons serving as an assistant coach at Syracuse; he replaces Bryan Scales, who resigned in January after 11 years helming the Red. While at Syracuse, Zawislan lent his support to multiple facets of the program, including practice planning, scouting opponents, game preparation, player training and recruiting. Zawislan’s career with the Orange was distinguished by bringing in one of the top 40 recruiting classes in the nation in 2003, according to collegesoccernews.com. Before heading east, Zawislan was an assistant coach and goalkeeper coach at Stanford; while with the Cardinals, he helped the team to the national semifinals in 2001 –– the same year Stanford captured its first Pac-10 championship and secured the best record in program history at 19-2-1. Zawislan’s coaching career also included a stint with Creighton for two seasons, where he led the team goalkeepers to a school-record 22 victories and national runner-up finish in 2000. See Thursday’s issue for more complete coverage of the Red’s latest addition to its program.