Golf Heads to Ivy Championships

The golf team has the chance to put a disappointing spring season behind it this weekend when they close out their season with the Ivy League Championships. The Red has posted less than stellar performances in spring matchplay, but has the chance to redeem itself with a strong showing at the three-day, 54-hole Ivy League Championship tournament this weekend.
“We’re going to go out and play the best that we can,” said junior Robert Cronheim, who has led the Red in scoring this spring. “Right now we’re not worrying about what place we finish, we’ll just see what happens.”
The team has spent a large amount of time practicing in preparation for this weekend. Everybody on the team knows that there is always plenty of room for improvement.
“Everybody has been working on their own individual games,” said sophomore Ben Myer. “Golf is an individual sport, you have to assess your own strengths and weaknesses and go from there. Personally, I’ve been spending a lot of time working on my putting.”
Cronheim echoed the Myer’s sentiment.
“We each have our own separate areas that we need to work on,” Cronheim said. “Everyone has been practicing very hard all week to try and sure up our respective weaknesses in preparation for this weekend.”
Although the Red’s scores have not been as low as the team would have liked, its actual performances have not been as poor as their scores indicate.
[img_assist|nid=37154|title=Eye on the prize|desc=Junior Robert Cronheim will lead the Red against its Ivy League rivals after a difficult Spring season.|link=node|align=left|width=|height=0]
“Golf is a tricky sport,” Cronheim said. “I feel like I’ve been playing well but I just haven’t quite been able to hold it together for an entire day yet. The way I played during the last round of this past weekend gave me some hope for this weekend. I know what I have to do and I know that I’m not that far off.”
The Red will be facing off against all of its Ancient Eight rivals, but will spend their time this weekend focusing on its own game rather than anyone else’s.
“We play in threesomes with kids from other schools,” Myer said. “But other than that we’re only concerned with how we’re shooting.”
Although this will be the biggest tournament of the Red’s season, it is approaching this weekend’s tournament just like any other weekend. The main difference between the Ivy League Championships and most invitational’s is that it spreads out over three days, rather than just two.
“We’re approaching Ivy’s just like another other tournament,” Myer said. “Spreading it out over three days will be nice because it’ll give us time to correct ourselves in between rounds. But overall, it’s the same as any other tournament that we’ve played in this year.”