July 19, 2009

Hidden Treasures at Cornell

­The following is a guide of intriguing things that you won’t want to miss learning about during your time on the Hill.

Relationships 101
Ever wonder what went wrong in that last relationship or worry about how the sex has gone bad after a few months? Or wake up on a Sunday morning and lament, “What was I thinking last night?”
Next time you have these questions, turn to HD 3620: Human Bonding instead of those relationship crib sheets, Cosmopolitan and Maxim.

Students Drink For Credit
Every Wednesday this semester from 2:50 to 4:55 p.m., over 800 Cornell students get credit for imbibing alcohol.
No, this isn’t an early April Fool’s printing of The Sun or a cheap trick by the School of Hotel Administration to increase enrollment.
The students are enrolled in the hotel school’s two-credit HADM 4430: Introduction to Wines, and they are not getting drunk on the six one-ounce wine samples they get in class.

Collection for Fashion-Conscious
Most college students spend a lot of time thinking about their clothing. But even though they may spend hours searching for the right outfit to wear to a job interview or party, they only see the outfit as part of their wardrobe. In the Cornell Costume and Textile Collection, however, clothing has become a part of history.
The costume collection, located in Martha Van Rensselaer Hall, currently hosts approximately 10,000 items.
There is a moderately large ethnographic collection featuring traditional dress from many different parts of the world as well as a textile collection featuring quilts, tapestries and wall hangings.
However, the majority of the collection is fashion-related. It features clothing dating as far back as the 18th century up to modern times.
Basically, it’s “anything from the skin out that you might wear, or carry, or use as part of dress,” said the collection’s curator, Prof. Charlotte Jirousek, textiles and apparel.

Inside the Particle Accelerator
Something is buried under Cornell’s playing fields. 50 feet below the surface of the earth, next to Wilson Lab, there is a ring-shaped tunnel roughly half a mile in circumference. Here, scientists work day and night to unlock the secrets of the universe.
Sound like an urban legend or the plot of a science-fiction movie? It’s not. It’s the Laboratory for Elementary Particle Physics’ particle accelerator.
The LEPP, once known as the Laboratory of Nuclear Studies, first opened immediately after World War II. It has gone through several different phases over the years, and the current facility was constructed in 1979.
The particle accelerator runs 24 hours a day, seven days a week with the exception of maintenance and improvement periods. The cost of energy, maintenance, equipment and staff salaries is covered by an annual budget of approximately $20 million.
At this point, students who don’t know much about physics are probably asking what all this means.
Prof. David G. Cassel, physics, associate director of LEPP, was more than happy to answer that question.
“It accelerates particles,” he said with a smile.

Your Very Own Brain Collection
The display of human brains, particularly those identified with specific individuals, evokes a variety of reactions; horror, distaste, curiosity and fascination.
Experiencing this first-hand only involves a short trip to Uris Hall’s second floor, where a display case features Cornell’s Wilder Brain Collection.
The collection, which at one time featured 1,600 animal and human brains, was founded in the 1880s by Dr. Burt Green Wilder, Cornell’s first zoologist. The University stopped accepting additional brains in 1940, and at present, only 70 remain.

The Nation’s Biggest Class
With the ad­vent of U.S. News & World Report’s school ranking system, colleges have recently tried to raise their rankings in any way possible, including decreasing their class sizes. Cornell’s Psych 1101: The Frontiers of Psychological Inquiry, taught by Prof. James B. Maas Ph.D. ’66, defies this ever-increasing norm. The 1,600-student class is taught in the University’s Bailey Hall.
During the 40 plus years that Maas has taught Psych 101, he credits himself with having taught over 60,000 Cornell undergraduates. Because of the sheer numbers, Maas excitedly explains, “Wherever I go, there is a student that I taught.”

Rare Manuscripts
A journey through time, back to the year 2000 B.C., is still beyond the scope of modern technology. However, seeing clay tablets from 4,000 years ago only requires a journey to the library.
The Rare and Manuscript Collections in Kroch Library is open to everyone and includes tablets inscribed with cuneiform writing as well as handwritten manuscripts from the medieval period, works by modern authors and everything else in between.
According to the Cornell University Library website, the collections consist of “300,000 printed volumes, more than 70 million manuscripts and another million photographs, paintings, prints and other visual media.”
The collection is also home to the Cornell University Archives, which documents the history of the University and the Ithaca area.

Ancient Artifacts
With air raid curtains from the 1940s hanging in the windows and decorative pillars left over from the museum that once occupied its place, McGraw 150 is itself a part of history.
The décor is fitting for a room which currently houses Cornell’s anthropology collection. The collection, which has existed in some form or another since 1868, contains artifacts from all over the world and spans roughly half a million years of human history.
The collection was started by Ezra Cornell and Andrew Dickson White and was once housed in Cornell’s natural history museum.
According to David Holmberg, chair of the anthropology department, when the museum closed sometime during World War II its displays were either moved to other areas or put into storage.
What hadn’t been claimed by the Johnson Museum or the geology collection then “came under the responsibility of the Department of Anthropology,” Holmberg said.

Mission to Mars
It cannot be seen through the rainclouds, but somewhere up in the sky, two rovers are driving around on Mars collecting data.
Students and faculty reap the benefits Prof. Steve Squyres Ph.D. ’78, astronomy, who is the mission’s science team leader. Students who enroll in Astro 2280: Space Exploration, get frequent updates on the rovers and can readily ask Squyres anything under the sun.

Science Guy
Although he’s currently most fond of evolutionary biology, Bill Nye ’77 keeps the periodic table close to his heart. Or at least to his hip, where he always carries a credit card-sized version of it around in his wallet.
Although the public knows him best for his television show Bill Nye the Science Guy, Nye has served as a Frank H.T. Rhodes Class of ’56 University Professor. During that time, students could spot Nye cycling around campus, his preferred form of transportation, borrowed from Prof. Jim Bell, astronomy.
After the two met in a chance encounter, Bell invited Nye to become a visiting professor and they have worked together ever since. Nye periodically visits Cornell to guest lecture and meet with students.

Magical Mushrooms
Fascinated by fungi? Take one of Cornell’s most popular courses, PLPA 2010: Magical Mushrooms, Mischievous Molds.
Taught by Prof. George Hudler, plant pathology, the class, which focuses on how mold and fungi have impacted social and political structure throughout the course of history, has been featured in Rolling Stone.
Despite the seemingly esoteric nature of the topic, the course has grown primarily through word-of-mouth and its accessibility to non-scientists.

Secret Garden
Although the peak season runs from May to September, the Cornell plantations remain open from dawn to dusk, all year round. Visitors can picnic, hike or play in any of the plantation’s 14 gardens. Some classes even take field trips to check out the beautiful plants.
For those who want to know exactly which flowers and trees they are passing, free guided tours and art session take place in the gardens every few days during certain months.

For Whom the Bell Tolls
161 steps up McGraw tower, next to Uris library, is the home of the famous Cornell chimes. Chimesmasters play on the 21 chimes three times a day during concerts. During this time, visitors are welcome to walk up and request a song. The afternoon concert typically closes with the Alma mater, whereas the nighttime concert ends with Cornell’s evening song.
At the beginning of each semester, there is also a competition during which new chimesmasters are selected.
Chimes concerts also take place to mark special occasions, and people can pay for additional concerts, such as during weddings at Cornell’s Sage Chapel.
In between concerts, a machine makes the chimes go off to mark time every 15 minutes from early morning until 11 p.m.