July 19, 2009

Red Letter Daze: 3 Dates Before You Graduate

From intimate dinner dates to romantic outdoor adventures to quirky destinations unique to Ithaca, Cheap Dates aims to show that cheap dates aren’t necessarily bad and that with a little creativity, classy yet cost-effective dates are possible at Cornell. Here are three fabulous but frugal date ideas for a special weekend at Cornell.
$ — A Cornell tradition since 1868, the Cornell Chimes concerts run all year, three times a day. Concerts span a wide range of music, playing everything from classical to Disney’s greatest hits to current pop songs. The 161-step trek up the clock tower may seem daunting at first, but we promise, it’s totally worth the effort. Following the climb, you and your honey can rest and take in the gorgeous (and free!) panoramic views of the campus.
$$ — If you’re looking for a perfect date just outside of Ithaca, escape into the fairy tale of The Orchid Place on Dryden Road where you are surrounded by 10,000 square feet of orchids. Across the street is The Antlers is a restaurant started by two Cornellians and provides a feast for both the eyes and the palate. Amidst what can only be described as hunting-lodge decor, they serves hearty classics like crabcakes, ribs and steak, at reasonable prices.
$$$ — For fine lakeside dining in luxury, head over to the historic Aurora Inn in Aurora, N.Y., only an hour away from Ithaca. They have a stunning waterfront dining room with award winning cuisine made with local, seasonal produce. You and your sweetheart can enjoy a spectacular sunset while dining al fresco on the patio — in our opinion, the perfect date for the few warm Ithaca nights.

This is an excerpt from an article in Red Letter Daze. Red Letter Daze is the weekend magazine supplement to The Sun