M. Icers Suffer First Losing Streak of 2009-10 Season

The men’s hockey team suffered its first losing streak of the 2009-10 season in its return from a 24-day break for exams and the winter holidays. The Red won the Florida College Classic tournament last year, but showed signs of rust throughout its title defense on Dec. 29-30. 

In its first game at the Florida College Classic tournament, the Red fell to then-No. 3 Colorado College, 4-2, due largely to 22 penalty minutes and Colorado College’s conversion of 2-of-8 power play opportunities. The Tigers jumped ahead early by scoring on a 5-on-3 opportunity after senior defenseman Brendon Nash and freshman defenseman Braden Birch both received penalties in the first three minutes of the game. Cornell got its chance with the two-man advantage later in the first, but Colorado College killed it off and went to the locker room up, 1-0. The Tigers struck early again in the second period on the power play after Joe Devin was whistled for a high sticking contact to the head. Cornell fought back with a goal by Greg Miller just less than two minutes later, but the Tigers responded again, scoring in a 4-on-4 situation. Senior forward Colin Greening took a pass from freshman defenseman Nick D’Agostino and muscled his way to the net for a goal to cut the deficit to 1. Colorado College outshot Cornell, 21-3, in the second period. The Tigers pulled away on Stephen Schwartz’s second goal of the night at the 12:41 mark of the third period.

In the Red’s consolation game against Princeton, sophomore Keir Ross put the Red up, 2-1, :17 into the third period, but Princeton responded with two goals later in the period. The game did not count for ECAC Hockey standings. Cornell beat Princeton, 5-2, on Nov. 20, 2009, at Lynah Rink.

Original Author: Keenan Weatherford