Red Preps for First Dual Meet

Since winning the National Championship last season, it’s been a downhill struggle for Cornell. But the Red is looking to get back on track this Saturday when the squad travels to SUNY Cortland for its first instate meet and first dual meet of the season.

Cornell opened the year with a 189.375 at Maryland, but since then has posted a 186.800 followed by a 185.750. The downward trend isn’t what the Red was hoping for.

“Each meet we try to improve and build upon our previous meet,” said junior captain Maddie Pearsall.

For Cornell, the match represents a chance to build upon a strong season opener where they placed second and finished ahead of Temple, a team that beat them just two days later.

“We came out well in the very first meet, and despite the troubles that followed we’re working really hard to regain that momentum,” Pearsall said.

In last season’s meeting between the Red and the Red Dragons, Cornell came out victorious with a near-10 point win, outscoring Cortland 188.025-178.550. Thus far this season, Cortland has participated in three dual meets, beating Wilson and losing to West Chester and Brockport. With scores of 166.000, 169.000 and 179.127, the Red Dragons have been improving, but have yet to reach the Red’s level.

“Absolutely,” Pearsall said when asked if this was a winnable match for Cornell. “I think we’re really using this weekend to work hard and start hitting routines the way we should be hitting routines. Coming off a bad weekend, we’re trying to turn it around so every weekend is better than before. We’re focused on hitting routines and getting it done.”

Original Author: John Forman