Men’s Hockey Travels to Colgate

The men’s hockey players will be forced to quickly put Saturday’s devastating 2-1 loss to Yale behind them. Tonight at 7 p.m., the Red returns to action as head coach Mike Schafer’s squad travels to Hamilton, N.Y., to square off against Colgate.

Tonight’s game features a matchup of teams that had similar fates this past weekend; both the Red and the Raiders beat Brown and fell to Yale. With the weekend split, Colgate finds itself in sixth place in the ECAC, fighting for playoff positioning.

Though the Red is in second place, it does have a game in hand on the Bulldogs and the Dutchmen, meaning that a win tonight in Hamilton will vault Cornell up into a tie for first place. The Red players were extremely disappointed with their loss to Yale on Saturday, but Schafer ’86 sees tonight’s game as a great way to get over that letdown.

“We can control our own destiny,” Schafer said. “We get a change to get right back out and have the extra game at Colgate. We have to get right back on the horse right away.”

Despite Saturday’s disappointment, senior goaltender Ben Scrivens, who made a career-best 52 saves in the losing effort, explained that he and his teammates will be able to keep that loss in perspective.

“We are not pressing any panic buttons here,” Scrivens said. “We will never win every single game. There are some things we will take out of this game and address.”

Colgate is led by a trio of scorers –– one from each of the sophomore, junior and senior classes. Sophomore forward Austin Smith leads the team in points, followed by senior forward David McIntyre, who have 33 and 29 points, respectively. Junior forward Brian Day is the Raiders’ leading goal-scorer, as Day has tallied 17 goals and 12 assists so far this season.

Between the pipes, both senior goalie Charles Long and sophomore netminder Alex Evin have seen significant minutes for the Raiders this year. However, Evin has started the last nine games in goal and appears poised to get the nod once again tonight. Evin has recorded a 2.82 GAA with a .906 save percentage in 18 games this season.

Schafer admitted that going into the Starr Hockey Rink in Hamilton can be a daunting task. The Raiders boast a stellar 7-4-3 record at home. Not to be outdone, the Red has compiled an impressive 5-2-2 record in on the road in unfriendly confines so far this year. In the previous meeting between these two teams this season, the Red cruised to a 4-2 victory at Lynah back in November.

“It’s a tough place to play up at Colgate, but we have had a lot of success lately,” Schafer said.

Tonight’s game kicks off a three-game road trip for the Red, with away games against Harvard and Dartmouth on the slate this weekend. With a win tonight, Cornell can ensure that it will arrive in Cambridge, Mass., with a share of the ECAC lead.

Original Author: Mitchell Drucker