Rescue Workers Recover Body of Cornell Student from Fall Creek Gorge

Rescue workers recovered the body of Bradley Ginsburg ’13 from Fall Creek Gorge yesterday after the Cornell University Police Department received a call at about 10:10 a.m. that a body had been spotted under the Thurston Avenue Bridge.

CUPD is leading the investigation into the events that caused Ginsburg’s death. As of Wednesday night, there was no information available about the nature of Ginsburg’s death. University officials declined to offer any additional details about the situation.

The Thurston Avenue Bridge that connects North and Central Campuses was closed for much of the morning as an Ithaca Fire Department rappelling team — along with Ithaca Police Department, CUPD, Bangs Ambulance, Cornell Emergency Medical Service and Cornell Environmental Health and Safety — aided in the recovery.

Ginsburg, a resident of Mary Donlon Hall, was last seen by his roommate early Tuesday morning. He was reported missing later that night, according to the University.

The University has been in contact with Ginsburg’s family to offer support and assistance, according to Simeon Moss ’73, deputy University spokesperson.

“Whenever a young person dies it’s very sad and very disturbing,” Moss said.

President David Skorton reached out to Cornellians in a press release yesterday evening.

“I join the Cornell community in profound sadness over the death of Bradley Ginsburg,” Skorton told the University. “My heartfelt condolences go to his family and many friends. It is especially important, in this time of grief, that we reach out to one another on campus and take advantage of support services the university provides.”

Ginsburg, 18, was an economics major in the College of Arts and Sciences from Boca Raton, Fla. He was a new member of Alpha Epsilon Pi.

“We are still in shock,” said Matt Lerner ’12, president of Alpha Epsilon Pi. “Brad was a spark plug and always full of energy. Someone who was always wanting to be the best brother he could be, wanting to have a good time and wanting to cherish every moment.”

According to Lerner, University support has been invaluable. A community support meeting was held at the Alpha Epsilon Pi house yesterday, and the Dean of Students Office and Campus Life Residential Programs will hold several more discussions in the coming weeks. The locations and times of these meetings will be made available to the students involved, Moss said.

The brothers of Alpha Epsilon Pi will hold a service tonight at 9 p.m. to commemorate Ginsburg.

“He was someone we had only known for a short time, but he made such a happy and positive impact on our fraternity,” Lerner said. “Brad will be remembered in nothing but the fondest light.”

Original Author: Sun Staff