Fake Robbery Accomplice Gets Six Months, Probation

The first of three men charged in a fake robbery of Jason’s Grocery and Deli on College Ave. in July was sentenced on Friday. Freeville resident Nathan Skillman, 19, who pleaded guilty to third-degree grand larceny, was sentenced in Tompkins County Court to six months in jail, five years probation and restitution, the Ithaca Journal reported. Two other men charged in the incident will appear in court today.

Joshua Sanders, who is scheduled to enter a plea in court today, was the cashier at Jason’s when the robbery occurred. He reported that the deli had been robbed after Larry Stanton, an acquaintance of Sanders’, entered the store with what appeared to be a semi-automatic pistol. Stanton took two cartons of cigarettes and nearly $3,600 from the cash register, according to the Journal.

However, it soon became clear to police and Jason Burnham, the store manager of Jason’s Grocery and Deli, that the robbery was staged.

“Looking at the [security camera] video, it just was very obvious,” Burnham said. “It was very amateurish.”

Sanders put his hands up before Stanton ever showed a weapon, Burnham said.

Also, “there are never any robberies in Collegetown, especially in the summertime,” he said.

Stanton used Skillman’s phone to call Sanders before the robbery occurred and Skillman drove Stanton to and from the deli, according to court documents.

“I accept my charges, I’m sorry for what I did and I’ll do anything to fix it,” Skillman said before his sentencing Friday, according to the Journal.

Stanton also pleaded guilty to third-degree grand larceny and will be sentenced in court today.

Original Author: Michael Linhorst