Golf Prepares for Ivy Title Fight

In its last tune-up before the Ivy League Championships the golf team will compete in the Yale Invitational over the weekend in Baltimore, Md. All eight Ivy League schools will be represented at the Invitational as the perfect prelude to the fight for the Ancient Eight crown, which takes place the following weekend. The host of the tournament, Yale, is coming off of a thrilling playoff round victory at the Princeton Invitational last weekend, defeating Ancient Eight foe Harvard. The entire Ivy League has proved to be stiff competition throughout the season, and that is unlikely to change this weekend.Senior Robert Cronheim, juniors Dan Bosse and Matt Jaye and sophomores Drew Baity and Alex Lavin will be the five members of the Red traveling to compete in the tournament. Cronheim and Bosse are the only two who have played the course in the past. “It’s a really, really nice course,” Bosse said. “It’s long; if you hit the ball in the right places you’ll be setting yourself up for a good score. If you leave shots short, it’s going to cost you a lot of strokes.”This weekend will be the Red’s last chance to work out any kinks and string together consistently solid rounds in a competitive atmosphere. Last weekend at Princeton the Red shot the lowest score of any team during round two, but did not fair as well in rounds one and three — ultimately leaving the team in 10th place. This squad certainly has the confidence in knowing that it has the raw talent to beat anybody, but it also recognizes the fact that in golf, consistency is what separates the good from the elite. “We’ve had a good week of practice, I think everybody feels good about where their swings are at this point,” said junior Ben Myer. Ultimately the Red feels good about where it currently stands, and knows that it all comes down to how the group performs out on the course. Throughout the season the approach has been, and will continue to be, taking one shot at a time, and focusing on executing each shot. “I think the guys are feeling good about where their games are at,” Bosse said. “When you feel good going into a tournament you have that confidence that you’re going to hit some shots and make some putts … and at the end of the weekend hopefully our scores will reflect that.”

Original Author: Ware Cady