Comfort and Love Added to Soccer Staffs

Changes in society occur every single day. Whether there is an increase in tuition, or a decrease in gasoline prices, modifications to our lifestyle are as constant as the rain in Ithaca. However, most people would agree with the belief that some changes are established with good intentions, while others are essentially bad. The Cornell men’s and women’s soccer teams certainly fit into the first group, as they hope that the readjustment of their coaching staffs will improve both squads’ performances.

So far, the men’s team has been refined under the watch of head coach Jaro Zawislan, who began his tenure at the helm of the Red last season. Cornell finished the 2008-09 campaign with a record of 1-15. After Zawislan’s first season (2009-10), the team’s record improved to 6-6-5.

In order to aid the team’s reconstruction, Keith Comfort –– a two-year former First-team All-League selection goalie for the University of California-Davis –– has joined Cornell’s coaching personnel. Comfort is a coach with experience at the collegiate level; he coached UC-Davis’s women’s team from 1985-88.

His experience as a player will also prove helpful for the Red. Since he was a goalie, and also worked as a goalkeeper coach for Colgate’s men’s program, Comfort can solidify the Red’s performance between the three posts. The men’s goalies conceded 23 goals last season –– three more than those allowed by opposing goalies.

Comfort will also serve as a coach for the women’s team, which is also in the process of rebuilding its squad. With a 1-13-1 record last season, the women are seeking a winning record for the first time since 2001 (9-6-2). In order to achieve this, the team’s defensive game (including the goalies’) has to improve.

The women’s team goal difference for last season was -14. Cornell’s goalies allowed 26 goals last season, compared to the eight allowed by rival teams.

The second addition to the men’s coaching staff will be T.J. Love, a former assistant coach at Elmira College and Keuka College. Love’s coaching experience stems from years of work in club soccer.

Original Author: AJ Ortiz