Field Hockey Starts New Season With Pair of Wins

The Cornell field hockey team opened its season this weekend with back-to-back victories on the road. The first came in Lock Haven, Pa., on Friday when the Red beat the Eagles, 1-0. The second came two days later when Cornell defeated Delaware in a nail-biting clincher that ended with a 4-3 victory over the Blue Hens in overtime. It is safe to say that the first weekend for the Red was a great success. The Red (2-0), under head coach Donna Hornibrook, went up 1-0 against Lock Haven (0-3) in the 12:25 mark. The goal came from senior attacker Catie De Stio. Hornibrook noted that the Red had much more momentum in the first half of the game, although the team was able to keep its lead and bring home the win. “I was really pleased with the way the team played,” Hornibrook said. “The first half was especially good. We weren’t quite as strong in the second half but we managed to bring home the victory.”Junior goaltender Alex Botte also made quite an impression in her first game of the 2010 season, racking up nine saves, including one show-stopping kick save late in the second half. The save marked the apex of the Eagles’ momentum, but thanks to Botte and a strong Cornell defense the Red was able to maintain its 1-0 lead. Next, the team traveled to Delaware to play the Blue Hens (1-2) at the Bob Carpenter Sports Center. The two teams had never played each other before, and the Red was looking to start off the series with a victory. Having just beaten Lock Haven, the Red felt confident going into the game. The star of the game was junior attacker Olivia Boyd, who scored the game-winning goal in overtime to lead the Red to a 4-3 victory. Hornibrook commented on the great amount of teamwork that the Red displayed. The other three goals came from senior captain Kate Thompson, sophomore forward Kat DiPastina and freshman forward Hannah Balleza. “We saw moments of really solid team play on Sunday,” Hornibrook said. “Although we didn’t wind the clock down as well as I would have liked, to come out with the composure we showed in O.T. after losing our lead was extremely satisfying to watch as a coach.”Another weekend of back-to-back games is right around the corner for the Red. Next up on the schedule is Bucknell. The Red will play the Bison at 1 p.m. on Sept. 11 in Lewisburg, Pa. Hornibrook stated that Bucknell will be a tough team to beat as they are usually a tactical and organized group. However, Hornibrook said that the Red is excited to play the weekend set, which also includes a matchup with St. Joseph’s. “It is a relief to get the first games behind us,” Hornibrook said. “It was a great way to start off the season.”

Original Author: Katie Schubauer