Volleyball Looks to Regroup After Tough Losses

After a tough weekend at the Bowling Green Invitational, the volleyball team looks to regroup throughout the week and bounce back against the upcoming weekend’s opponents in the Colgate Invitational. The Red did not have a good showing on the scoreboard, losing 0-3, 0-3, 1-3 over the weekend, but the team remains optimistic.

These losses need to be taken into perspective as the games of these invitational tournaments serve as a preseason for the Ivy League games, which will start in late September. With that in mind, it only makes sense that the team is still searching to find its rhythm early in the season. The team is still trying to get familiar with one another to play well together.

“It’s the preseason and we need to get things sorted out,” said junior Jordan Reeder. “We’re still experimenting and testing different lineups. Once the Ivy League season starts, things will level out and we’ll feel more comfortable playing together as a team.”

The last time Cornell dropped five straight games was at the end of the 2009 season in an eight-game losing streak to finish the season. To avoid losing in the future, the Red must focus on working on some things before its upcoming matches. In particular, team chemistry issues on the court may be related to how well the players understand the game plan for each match. Although Cornell may have faced some tough opponents, ultimately the team itself is responsible for its struggles.

“We need to focus on playing Cornell volleyball,” Reeder said. “In preparing for this weekend, we’re looking to play our style and focus on our side of the court, no matter who we play or who our competition may be.”

Despite the poor performances, the experience of playing together will help the Red improve for future matches.

“We’ll get a sense of how to play together,” Reeder said.

Even though Cornell has lost three straight and only managed one set this past weekend, the score and stat sheet does not show everything. The team has been able to put together good performances in certain stretches. The team feels confident that, top to bottom, the talent and leadership are there and will be revealed throughout the season.

“We’ve seen many players step up,” Reeder said. “We have a strong freshman class who have shown they can play. The captains have shown good leadership while the upperclassmen have shown good control and consistency.”

Overall, the team is not too concerned about the current standings, as the real standings will start when the Ivy League games begin.

“When it comes down to it, our performance in the [Ivy] League will be the ultimate measure of how we do,” Reeder said.

Original Author: Wankyu Lee