Husband of Graduate Student Killed in Crash Dies in Hospital

Updated 5 p.m.: The husband of Cornell graduate student Jade Woods Moore, who was killed in a car crash on Tuesday, died in a Pennsylvania hospital on Wednesday, the hospital announced Thursday. Bill Moore, 25, had been listed in serious condition on Wednesday afternoon. Friends at Cornell remembered Jade Moore as a caring person who overcame adversity to attend Cornell.

According to the New York State Police, Jade Moore failed to stop at a stop sign at the intersection of Mineah Road and Route 13 — approximately halfway between Cornell and the Village of Dryden — around 3:13 p.m. on Tuesday. Her car entered the intersection, where it was struck on the driver’s side by a tractor trailer traveling east on Route 13.

Moore was declared dead at Cayuga Medical Center. The driver of the tractor trailer was not injured.

Moore was a first-year fellow in the Cornell Institute for Public Affairs. Her studies focused on public and non-profit management, according to a statement posted on the CIPA website.

“She felt that her experiences in life had allowed her to see firsthand the importance of equality in education, housing and health care, and her goal was to pursue a career in public policy that would engender social change,” a CIPA statement said.

Moore graduated with a B.A. in political science from Southeastern Oklahoma State University in May, according to the statement.

“[She] had faced a lot of adversity in her life … and she was one of those amazing success stories in getting to Cornell,” said Rebecca Darling grad, who is also a first-year CIPA fellow.

Moore lived with a serious heart condition her whole life, Darling said. When Darling’s sister-in-law was diagnosed with the same condition, Moore helped her adjust to knowing and living with the condition.

Moore was “very generous and thoughtful,” Darling said.

“CIPA is, and always has been, a family, and we encourage all of you to remain vigilant in supporting friends and colleagues in the program who are affected by Jade’s passing,” said a statement posted on CIPA’s website.

Original Author: Michael Linhorst