Screen Shots: The Milk of Sorrow and I Am Love

The Milk of Sorrow

From Peruvian director Claudina Llosa comes a brilliant and provocative film about the terror and violence that plagued Peru following the uprising of the Maoist group in the 1980s. Influenced by the belief that the trauma experienced by women who were raped and sexually assaulted by the security force was passed on to their children via breast milk, Llosa skillfully represents the fear and the consequences of Peru’s tremulous recent history. The Milk of Sorrow won the 2009 Golden Bear at the Berlin International Film Festival and was nominated for the Best Foreign Language Picture at the Academy Awards.

The Milk of Sorrow is playing Friday, November 12 at 7:00 p.m., Monday, November 15 at 9:30 p.m. andWednesday, November 17 at 7:00 p.m.­­­ in Willard Straight Hall.

I Am Love

Io Sono L’amore, or I Am Love, is an Italian film directed and produced by Luca Guadagnino. Set at the turn of the 21st century in the decadent city of Milan, the film follows the wealthy, if not ostentatious, Recchi family in a tale of changing fortune, scandal and the twisted consequences of passion and restlessness. With marvelous performances from the Academy Award winning actress Tilda Swinton, Gabriele Ferzetti and Marisa Berenson, I Am Love premiered at the 2010 Sundance Film Festival as well as the international film festivals in Venice and Toronto with rave reviews.

I Am Love

is playing Friday, October 15 at 9:30 p.m., Saturday, October 16 at 5:00 p.m., Sunday, October 17 at 7:15 p.m. and Thursday, October 21 at 9:15 p.m. in Willard Straight Hall.

Original Author: Heather McAdams