Cornell Democrats Host ‘Get Out the Vote’ Rally

The C.U. Democrats hosted a number of local political candidates on Ho Plaza on Monday. The Cornell Democrats hosted a “Get Out the Vote” Rally on Ho Plaza Monday, giving a forum for Rep. Maurice Hinchey (D-22nd), State Assemblywoman Barbara Lifton (D-125th) and candidate for the New York State Senate Pam Mackesey ’89 to campaign and garner student support. The event drew a small crowd of roughly 30 people to listen to what the candidates say are big issues.

Assemblywoman Barbara Lifton spoke furvently in favor of Democratic causes, noting her staunch positions against hydrofracking and her support for sustainable business.

“I know students understand apathy is a killer,” Lifton said. “We can’t be silent on these issues that affect our future.”

Pam MacKesey took the podium with similar enthusiasm, noting that she is the first woman ever to run for the State Senate seat in her district. MacKesey, who is a graduate of the School of Industrial and Labor Relations, also expressed her support for abortion rights.

Hinchey then spoke to the assembled, giving an overview of his positions and accusing the Tea Party of purveying “false information.”

Hinchey empathized his goals of improving the public school system, and bringing American education back to the “number one spot” that it held when it began public schooling more than a century ago. Part of this effort, according to Hinchey, will include ensuring that all students have access to as high-quality an education as they wish to attain.

“The example set here at Cornell is one of the best in the world,” Hinchey said. “We need to make sure the student-loan program continues to be effective.”

Original Author: Brendan Doyle