Sprint Football Downs Mansfield to Conclude Season

Sprint football closed out its season in a convincing fashion, dominating Mansfield, 45-14, Friday night at Schoellkopf Field. The win brought the Red’s record to 5-2 overall and 3-2 in the CSFL, while the loss dropped the Mountaineers to 2-5 overall and a disappointing 1-4 in the conference.

The ground game came out roaring the first quarter, with junior running back Doug Famularo finding pay-dirt three times. Five minutes into the first period, Famularo took a pass from senior quarterback Elliot Corey 14 yards for the touchdown. Two and a half minutes later, he was again rumbling into the Mansfield end zone on an 11-yard run. To close out a commanding period, he scored his third touchdown on a one-yard surge with just over a minute remaining.

Famularo finished the game with 111 yards and an impressive 6.5 yards per carry average, and the three scores.

“Doug has been fantastic all season. It seemed like he would always come alive when we needed him the most and was able to grind out the hard yards between the tackles,” Corey said.

Mansfield running back Mike Wallace had a solid game in his own right, rushing for 131 yards on 20 carries. Four minutes into the second quarter, he ripped off a long 87-yard run for the Mountaineers’ first score.

With time winding down in the first half, Mansfield was able to cut the Cornell lead to 24-14 when receiver Kevin Valentine caught a long 39-yard pass from quarterback Kode Plank.

“Going into half time we really stressed, ‘Don’t let up,’” said senior linebacker Clay Hemminger. “We were allowing them to still have hope so we needed to put a few more in the end zone and not allow big plays on defense.”

On this night, however, the Red would not allow a win to slip away. In the second half, Cornell would go on to score three more times, while the defense kept Mansfield out of the end zone for the rest of the contest. In the third quarter, Corey rushed for a five-yard score and threw a 12-yard touchdown pass to junior running back Timothy Bruhn. The senior passer finished with one of his better games this season, throwing for 134 yards on 11-of-16 passing, with two touchdowns and no interceptions. He also rushed for 61 yards and added another score on the ground.

“The past two weeks we were able to move the ball well, but were having trouble in the Red zone and this week we were able to fix those problems,” Corey said.

The final score of the game came several minutes into the fourth when backup freshman quarterback Brendan Miller rushed for a one-yard score.

While managing for the most part to contain the Mountaineers’ offense, the Red defense was somewhat uncharacteristic in allowing the long rushing touchdown. Outside of that play, however, Mansfield was only able to pick up 38 more net yards on the ground.

The pass defense was excellent, holding Mansfield passers to 83 yards through the air and snagging three interceptions.

Hemminger, in the final game of an illustrious sprint career, led the squad with nine tackles. John Mackintosh, Charles Clausner and Jim Barger each had a pick.

In a season that began with high hopes, the team knows it perhaps did not play as well as it could have.

“Our goal was a championship and obviously we didn’t get that, but it showed us that it takes perfection all season to win it all, and we had too many missed plays and dropped opportunities,” Hemminger said.

Looking forward, the team will keep expectations high for next year.

“The team will be strong next year. The younger guys really stepped up this year and I expect them to have a good season,” Hemminger said.

“I think that the program will be able to contend for the years to come. By now, we are established as a title contender year in and year out,” Corey said.

Original Author: Holden Steinhauer