Women’s Basketball Falls at Colgate, 65-52

The women’s basketball team can’t wait to get back home. The Red lost its third consecutive game on the road last night against Colgate (3-5), 65-52, falling to 1-6 on the season.

Colgate’s Sami Kozlowski and Jhazmine Lynch played well and led the Raiders to victory. Kozlowski scored a game-high 12 points, while Lynch flawlessly led their offensive attack, racking up 10 points and eight assists, only turning the ball over twice.

The Raiders jumped out to an early 7-2 lead, but the Red quickly responded. This came in the form of sophomore guard Taylor Flynn’s 3-pointer and freshman guard Stephanie Long’s put-back off of a miss by sophomore forward Clare Fitzpatrick, which tied the game at seven with 12:33 to play in the first half. Cornell played Colgate to a standstill for the rest of the half, as neither team led by more than five points. Come halftime, the Raiders held a very slim lead, 27-25.

Although the Red never led in the second half, it kept the game within reach. The team even trimmed the margin down to one when the scoreboard read 39-38, on a lay-up by junior forward and co-captain Allie Munson’s with 11:11 to play. The result was still up in the air until Colgate put together a decisive 20-9 run to seal the game in the final 6:57 of play.

While the visitors finished with only a narrow disadvantage on the glass, 36-34, the Raiders had a 14-4 rebounding advantage during their 20-9 scoring run to end the game, grabbing several key offensive rebounds that led to easy baskets.

Turnovers have plagued Cornell’s short season and they hurt them again in this game. The Red turned it over 18 times — down from the 23.3 turnovers it averaged on the season — compared to Colgate’s 15 turnovers. The Raiders also outshot the Red, shooting 44 percent from the field and 40 percent from three — compared to 33 percent shooting both from the field and downtown for the Red.

Long played a large part in keeping the score close for the majority of the game. Along with scoring seven points, she finished the game with eight rebounds and five assists — both career highs.

Flynn finished with a team-high 10 points — tying freshman Allyson DiMagno — for a career-high, despite playing limited minutes d to foul trouble. She checked out of the game with her third foul with 14:47 to play in the second half, and did not check in until almost 10 minutes later.

The Red gets a break in its schedule next, not playing again until Dec. 19, when it hosts Canisius at Newman Arena at 2 p.m.

Original Author: Albert Liao