City Will Install New Parking Meters

The City of Ithaca will install four automated Pay and Display parking machines later this month, which city officials hope will increase parking revenues. The new meters will be placed near the Commons in the surface lot under the Green Street parking garage and the Mayer’s Smokeshop lot.

Ithaca has been experimenting with Pay and Display machines for some time, according to City Controller Steven Thayer. He said he hopes these new machines will eventually replace conventional meters and boost revenues by 20 percent.

“Other cities we have talked to that have gone to credit card capabilities in their parking meters have seen a 30-percent increase in revenue from parking meters,” said Ray Benjamin, supervisor of streets and facilities.

Benjamin said that, with these machines, drivers will be able to pay for parking by cash or credit card, and the machines will print out a receipt that can be displayed on their windshield.

“We are going to try them out for a three-week period and we have the option to purchase them at the end of that time,” Benjamin said. He added, however, that there are no plans thus far to purchase additional machines until they see how well they function, especially with Ithaca weather.

Original Author: Manuel Davila-Molina