Women’s Lacrosse Travels to Dartmouth With Postseason Hopes on Line

On Saturday the women’s lacrosse team will travel to Hanover, N.H., to face No. 19 ranked Dartmouth (7-2, 3-0 Ivy League) at 12 p.m. at Scully-Fahey Field. This game will determine whether the Red (3-6, 1-3) will have a future in the Ivy League tournament.Dartmouth has beaten Yale, Columbia and Brown thus far. So, this weekend will mark the Green’s fourth Ivy game of the season and the fifth for the Red.Cornell’s season depends on Saturday’s game, because if the team wins it will still be in the running for the Ivy League tournament. A loss, however, will push the Red’s record below the qualifying mark.“This game is extremely important for us if we want to keep hopes alive for the Ivy League tournament,” said junior defenseman and tri-captain Cacki Helmer. “It would make a statement for the whole Ivy League that on any day we really can beat any team.”The loss to Princeton last weekend certainly put more pressure on the Red to prove itself as a league competitor — especially since Cornell’s Ivy record now stands at 1-3.“After the Princeton game we noticed a lot of break downs on the defensive end,” Helmer said. “We’ve been trying to make sure we’re a defensive unit and we work together well [on Saturday].”“We’ve been working on being really disciplined with our plays — getting the highest percentage with our attack and making sure we convert on all of our shots,” added junior midfielder Katie Kirk.The team has also been working on adjusting attack plays, as well as working to become a stronger defensive unit. Cornell realizes that the main focus for the game tomorrow will be the mental aspect of it. Hopefully, the players are ready for what will certainly be the biggest challenge of the season.Dartmouth has historically been a very strong team — leading the Red, 26-6, in their series and beating the Red both times last year.  Tomorrow the Green will continue with its campaign to be a formidable opponent. Hopefully, Cornell will be able to get the upper hand and keep the game tight — a characteristic of four out of the last 11 games where the game has been decided by one goal.“They have a lot of speed and their goalie is really good,” Kirk said.    In addition to having a solid foundation in the back, Dartmouth is a very strong offensive team lead by seasoned senior players.“We need to make sure we’re strong throughout the whole game,” Kirk said. “We can’t let Dartmouth dictate what we do defensively … we have to control the pace of the game.”Cornell still has four games after playing Dartmouth before it can finish out its season, but for now the team is keeping focused on the weekend at hand.  “It’ll be a hard fought game, and hopefully we come out on top,” Helmer said.

Original Author: Rebecca Velez