University Announces Results of Alumni Trustee Elections

Gregory J. Galvin Ph.D. ’84 and Rana Glasgal ’87 won the 2011 alumni trustee election and will be joining the 64-member board on July 1, the University announced Monday. The two will replace William V. Eaton ’61 and Stephen J. Ettinger ’62, who were elected alumni-trustees in 2007.

Galvin lives in Ithaca and is the co-founder, president and CEO of Kionix Inc., a company that designs and fabricates silicon inertial sensors. His involvement with the University includes serving on the Cornell University Council and the Engineering College Advisory Council and guest lecturing at the College of Engineering and the Johnson School.

Glasgal, who lives in Palo Alto, Calif., is the associate vice provost for institutional research and decision support at Stanford University and the chair of Cornell Alumni Admissions Ambassadors Network advisory committee. Glasgal also served on the Cornell University Council and was the director of the Cornell Alumni Association from 2005 to 2007.

Neither trustee-elects were available for comment Tuesday evening.

According to the University’s website for the alumni trustee election, Galvin’s said his top three priorities as alumni-trustee are faculty renewal, resource allocation and marketing the University. He said his 30-year association with Cornell as a student, employee, licensee and volunteer gives him a varied perspective that is necessary for addressing large challenges, such as implementing the University’s strategic plan.

Glasgal shares the same goal of addressing faculty renewal, along with improving education quality and increasing financial accessibility for students who have demonstrated excellence, her campaign page stated. Glasgal said her background in higher education qualifies her to address these academic issues, and her experience at Stanford allows her to examine the same problems that Cornell faces.

The 2011 election was the first time the University used a new voting system by Election Service Corporation, a third-party vendor that processed both paper and online ballots, The Sun previously reported.

Original Author: Andrew Hu