Critic’s Picks: Fuel For Your All-Nighter

For most of us, study week means little sleep, lots of caffeine and plenty of late-night studying.  But when you’re in the library, pulling that second all-nighter in a row, what will you eat to fuel your brain and help you remember what color Julius Caesar’s toga was when he was murdered?Here are my top 5 snacks to fuel your all-nighter and get you through study week:

1.  GranolaWhether you’re sneaking granola out of your dining hall, splurging for delicious Bear Naked brand stuff, or making it yourself, granola has healthy fats and protein to fuel your all-nighter.  If you’re feeling adventurous, mix 4 cups oats with ½ cup melted salted butter and 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup.  Bake at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes, and then toss in some dried fruit and nuts.  Crunch loudly on that in Uris!

2.  HummusChickpeas are also a great source of protein, and stores everywhere sell those little UFO-shaped packages of hummus and pretzels.  Or, if you have the will and a food processor, blitz up some chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice and a couple cloves of garlic for a homemade version.  You can flavor it with almost anything—my favorites are lemon zest and parsley or chipotle powder.

3.  Fruit with Almond ButterI have this strange obsession with almond butter—I could eat it every day in large quantities.  Last summer, I discovered Justin’s Almond Butter packets!  Can you say on-the-go almond-y goodness?  Pick some up at Wegman’s and then enjoy it with that fruit you lawfully removed from RPCC!

4. The Hot Truck’s WTFI know this sounds more like post-party scene noshing, but if you find yourself studying on West Campus on Thursday night, chances are that this saucy, cheesy, meaty and mysterious — Hot Truck chooses your toppings in this case — sandwich can keep you up.  It’s comfort food packed with protein for long-term focus.  Even with finals ahead, the sandwich will give you hope.  It’s that good, if you don’t mind making some intoxicated friends at the Hot Truck while waiting for it.

5.  Grilled CheeseClassic grilled cheese is the most convenient snack to make in a MacGyver style stuck-in-the-dorm-study-lockdown-hunger-crisis.  Pan, butter, bread, cheese.  Assemble. Fry.  Allow the cheesy goodness to melt away the study-induced stress.

Original Author: Shaina Loew