June 7, 2011

Cancer, Miller Lead Men’s Basketball New Recruit Class

After a run of three consecutive Ivy League titles and NCAA tournament appearances came to an end last season, the men’s basketball team will look to regroup this season with the addition of six freshmen to the program.

This year’s recruiting class features four forwards and two guards, led by 6-2 guard Galal Cancer and 6-7 forward Shonn Miller. Cancer, a native of Albany, N.Y., was the Red’s highest ranked recruit according to ESPN, earning a score of 80 on a 100-point scale. Miller, who played on LeBron James’ AAU team in Ohio, earned all-district honors at St. Ignatius High School during his senior season. The freshman earned a rating of 79 from ESPN.

“Shonn will be one of the most athletic players ever at Cornell,” head coach Bill Courtney said in a statement. “He also has a growing skill set and his potential is limitless.”

Courtney called Cancer a “natural leader,” and felt that the freshman could be “one of the top incoming point guards in the country.”

Cancer is joined in the backcourt by Devin Cherry, a 6-3 guard out of Meridian, Miss. Cherry’s Meridian High School squad won the Mississippi state championship in his senior campaign, a game in which the newest member of the Red scored 15 points.

Deion Giddens, a 6-9 forward nominated to the McDonald’s All-America team, will attempt to fill the void left by big men Aaron Osgood ’11 and Adam Wire ’11.

“Deion is a very long and athletic post player,” Courtney noted. “He runs the floor exceptionally well and has great timing when blocking shots. With added strength and development he could be a special player.”

Also looking to fill the void in the post is 6-9, 230-pound forward Dave LaMore, a two-time first-team honoree at Dexter High School in Whitmore Lake, Mich. LaMore averaged 14.5 points, 8.6 rebounds and 2.5 blocks as a senior.

Rounding out the incoming freshman class is 6-7, 250-pound forward Ned Tomic. The North Royalton, Ohio native averaged 22.3 points per game last season, more than any other player in the Red’s 2015 recruiting class.

“Ned is a very productive frountcourt player,” Courtney said. “For two years he put up terrific scoring and rebounding numbers. He has a solid post game to go along with his mid-range jump shot.”

The group will join a team led by top scorer rising senior guard Chris Wroblewski, who earned second-team All-Ivy honors last season.

Original Author: Evan Rich