Rapper B.o.B. Will Bring His ‘Magic’ to Homecoming

Rapper B.o.B. is slated to headline at Homecoming on Sept. 17, the Cornell Concert Commission will announce in the coming weeks.Rapper B.o.B. is slated to headline at Homecoming on Sept. 17, the Cornell Concert Commission will announce in the coming weeks.

CCC hopes the artist — whose real name is Bobby Ray Simmons, Jr. — will bring his “magic” to the stage at Barton Hall, where thousands of students and alumni are expected to be in attendance.

B.o.B. broke onto the mainstream music scene in 2010 with B.o.B. Presents: The Adventures of Bobby Ray, an album that sold 84,000 copies in its first week and garnered mostly positive reviews from critics. The album’s first three singles, “Nothin’ on You,” “Airplanes” and “Magic,” all reached the top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100 chart.That success was in part  due to Cornell alumni Jeremy Dussolliet ’09 and Tim Sommers ’10, who co-wrote “Airplanes,” B.o.B.’s biggest hit. Dussolliet and Sommers wrote the track as part of their song-writing duo Kinetics, and it eventually  reached second place on the iTunes singles chart.Additionally, B.o.B. was named the ninth Hottest M.C. in the Game by MTV and has received many other accolades, including nominations for BET’s Best Hip-Hop Artist and for a Grammy.B.o.B. will also play at Syracuse University’s eight annual Juice Jam, a welcome-to-campus party on Sept. 11, according to the Syracuse Post-Standard.

The White Panda Confirmed for Orientation Week

In addition to B.o.B., CCC has arranged for The White Panda to enliven the first weekend of school and acclimate freshmen to the Cornell concert scene.The duo of DJ Griffi and Procrast will perform on the Arts Quad for free on Aug. 27, following rival mash-up group Super Mash Bros.’ O-Week performance in 2010, according to the CCC’s website.They will be joined by True 2 Life Music, a Brooklyn hip-hop trio the CCC says is comprised by Cornell alumni.

Original Author: Jeff Stein