After a Decade

On Thursday night, President Barack Obama presented his plan to restore jobs to America before a joint session of Congress. The speech had initially been set for Wednesday night, but was moved at the request of House Speaker John Boehner — a request some have criticized as politically calculated to defy the President. Americans were able to watch the Republican Presidential debate Wednesday night. The debate was filled with criticisms of the President’s policies and bleak pronouncements about what the future of this country would be if we failed to elect a new leader. All of this was on the heels of a protracted debt ceiling debate — for which both parties are to blame — that almost caused the United States to default on its debt for the first time in its history.

As we approach the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks, America is hurting. Unemployment is at historic highs and the vast majority of citizens think the country is headed in the wrong direction. What’s worse is that the partisan divide appears as wide as ever, and politicians in Washington have made clear their steadfast refusal to compromise on a joint plan for a better future.

Over the past few days, in preparation for this edition, The Sun’s staff has searched through dozens of articles and opinion columns from our paper and others from the days following Sept. 11. Below, we selected a handful of quotes that we feel encapsulated the national and campus mood in the aftermath of the attacks.

What struck us about each was the remarkable sense of unity people felt. On campus and across the country, communities set aside differences and came together to support one another — an affirmation of our country’s and campus’ common goals and united strength. The country was hurting, but we knew we’d only get through it together.

As we approach the 10th anniversary of the attacks, we urge Cornellians and Americans to keep these sentiments, and those from pages 10 and 11 of today’s issue, in mind:

“Today, our nation saw evil. These acts shattered steel, but they cannot dent the steel of American resolve.”

— President George W. Bush in an AP story on Sept. 12, 2001

“We join here on the Arts Quad to express not only our sorrow this evening, but also our conviction that our community, and other communities throughout the world, will withstand these assaults on humanity and decency.”

— President Hunter R. Rawlings III in a Sun news story on Sept. 12, 2001

“There is not much we at The Sun can say. No event has ever occurred in this country to prepare us for the time that is now upon us. With yesterday’s tragic events striking down not just physical buildings, but striking fear and sorrow within American citizens’ hearts, The Sun can only wish all heal as quickly as possible while our nation, state, city and campus recover.”

— Sun editorial on Sept. 12, 2001

“Some day, our country will track down the rest of the monsters behind this, and make them pay, and I suppose that will make most of us feel a little better. But revenge and hatred won’t be why we’ll go on. We’ll go on because we know this is a good country, a country worth keeping.”

— Dave Barry, a columnist for the Miami Herald, in a syndicated column in The Sun on Thursday, Sept. 20, 2001

“We’re not all different. We’re the same, even if we’re not citizens of this country. We’re all part of humanity and what hurts one of us, hurts all of us.”

— Dr. Toorawah in a Sun news story, Sept. 12, 2001