Man Swings at Cops After Jaywalking Ticket

On the second day of the Cornell University Police’s jaywalking crackdown, an elderly man who was issued a ticket erupted in anger at police and was arrested for disorderly conduct.On the second day of the Cornell University Police’s jaywalking crackdown, an elderly man who was issued a ticket erupted in anger at police and was arrested for disorderly conduct.

Initially cited for jaywalking, the man began striking at officers, CUPD Chief Kathy Zoner said.

“When the officers tried to confront him with the citation, he starting swinging at the officers and went into a karate stance,” Zoner said. “He was creating so much of a disturbance that the officer had no choice but to arrest him for disorderly conduct.”

The man was eventually released at the scene — the intersection of Campus Road and College Avenue.

Since the man is not associated with the University, he will be referred to the City of Ithaca court system, Zoner said. She stressed that the man was not charged with assaulting an officer.

Police could not release the man’s name or any other additional details about the incident.

In addition to the arrest, CUPD handed out 65 tickets — bringing the two day total to 143 — and a Judicial Administrator referral, according to Zoner.

The J.A. referral was for “failure to comply with a University official for someone who was trying to ride their bicycle away from police,” Zoner said. On Tuesday, two J.A. referrals were handed out for “failing to comply with a University official,” and for “riding a bicycle in a dismount zone.”

The educational and ticketing program was made possible by a New York State Selective Traffic Enforcement Program grant of $9,600.

Original Author: Joseph Niczky