Road Trip Food: Avoiding Starvation

Unless you’re a super-skilled knee driver like myself, the key to road trip grub is snack-ability. Unfortunately, the most snack-happy foods tend to be a heart attack on a plate. More importantly, they usually don’t fill you up — think potato chips. We’re talking three and a half hours, here. That’s starving potential. To avoid such a horrendous fate, check out these three easy recipes for my favorite go-to snacks.

It’s that time of year. You know, that time when I’m forced to write my Sun articles in the library because I haven’t left this carefully scouted desk for the last three days?

But the beauty of Hell Week is that Fall Break is just around the corner. For me, that means a relaxing road trip spent admiring the changing leaves as I make my way to New York City.

The only problem with these “scenic routes?” Zero food possibilities. Unless I want to eat roadkill or my roommate’s arm, I have to pack wisely to avoid starving to death — or at least having a grumbling stomach.

Unless you’re a super-skilled knee driver like myself, the key to road trip grub is snack-ability. Unfortunately, the most snack-happy foods tend to be a heart attack on a plate. More importantly, they usually don’t fill you up — think potato chips. We’re talking three and a half hours. That’s starving potential. To avoid such a horrendous fate, check out these three easy recipes for my favorite go-to snacks.

Sweet Baby Elvis: While the original peanut butter, banana and bacon sandwich is pretty much perfection between two slices of white bread,  this Sweet Baby Elvis recipe will keep you full and satisfy your sugar needs during your journey. To candy bacon, simply toss your bacon with brown sugar (add Cayenne if you like it hot), lay it on a flat sheet, and then toss it in the oven. Cream some crunchy peanut butter with marshmallow fluff, add it to your sandwich and sprinkle with banana slices and candied bacon. It may sound nuts, but it’s a sweet and savory surprise in your mouth.

Mini Spicy Hummus Pitas: If you’ve got savory on the brain, pick up some mini hummus pita pockets. Split them open and fill with any number of goodies. That way, everyone in the car can have a little taste of everything. Some ideas: egg salad and sprouts, sundried tomato and pesto, or simple strawberry jam and brie.

Merenges: Finally, if you’re in the mood for something sweet, there is nothing better than a dessert from my Mom’s native country, Puerto Rico. Merenges are absolutely delicious, easy to make and keep forever — though they won’t last long in a car full of hungry Cornellians. Simply whip four egg whites, one pinch of salt and one-fourth teaspoon of cream of tartar until it forms soft peaks. Slowly add one and a third cups of sugar while whipping until your mixture holds hard peaks. The difference between hard and soft peaks you ask? When held on the back of a spoon, soft peaks form a soft hill shape which eventually sags.  Hard peaks, on the other hand, resemble mountains — think Libe versus K2.

Spoon the mixture onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake at 275 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes so they peel off the parchment paper easily. Pack in bags and admire the “oohs” and “ahs” of your road trip passengers as they munch on these light-as-air, crumb-free delights.

Original Author: Cristina Stiller