Arts Around Ithaca: Week of October 17

Correction appended

Goo Goo Dolls: 8 p.m. on Wednesday at the State Theatre. Feeling like you want a dose of 90’s rock this week? Well, luckily for you, The Goo Goo Dolls are playing a gig at the State Theatre this Wednesday at 8 p.m.! Head on down to the commons to hear familiar hits like “Iris” and “Here is Gone,” as well as the rest of the Dolls’ eclectic repertoire. Tickets are around forty dollars and are still available on the State Theatre website (www.stateofithaca.com). These Buffalo natives always put on a great show, so drive, walk or dance over to the State Theatre for what is sure to be a great night.

Peter Yarrow ’59 (Peter, Paul and Mary): 8 p.m. on Saturday at the State Theatre. Did you know that a Cornellian wrote that famous campfire stand-by “Puff the Magic Dragon” right in Collegetown? Did you also know that the same alum, folk singer Peter Yarrow of Peter, Paul and Mary, will be back here in Ithaca on the 22nd? Wear your favorite tie-dye and be at the State Theatre on Saturday at 8 p.m. Tickets start at $32.50 and are available for purchase at www.stateofithaca.com. Come expecting politically charged 60’s anthems like “Blowin’ in the Wind” and “If I Had a Hammer.” Get your tickets now for what’s sure to be a mellow night of musical groove. Guest Lecture: Rem Koolhaas: 5:15 p.m. on Thursday October 20 at Bailey Hall. Dutch-born, Cornell AAP alumnus Rem Koolhaas is one of the world’s most prominent architects, having designed buildings in Chicago, Beijing and Rotterdam to name a few. Among his masterpieces is the recently erected Milstein Hall, the first building Cornell University has constructed for its AAP students in a century. Limiting Koolhaas’ expertise to architecture would, however, be borderline blasphemy. This Pritzker-Prize laureate began as a journalist and scriptwriter, before co-founding the esteemed, critically–acclaimed international architecture firm OMA and its research-based counterpart AMO, a think tank focusing on areas other than architecture, such as politics, renewable energy, sociology and publishing — a testament to Koolhaas’ likeness to a modern-day Renaissance man.  Other Events/Features On and Around Campus This Week: Gillian Welch, Sunday, October 24 at The Ithaca State Theatre. Gillian Welch, a Grammy-nominated guitarist and singer-songwriter, has impressed both critics — The New Yorker and Rolling Stone have praised her extensively — and festival-goers across the country. Playing rustic, innovative folk tunes with a dark underbelly, Welch is an act not to be dismissed.Mike Doughty and his Band Fantastic, Saturday, Oct. 8 at State Theatre. The former Soul Coughing lead singer and Knitting Club doorman will be rolling through Ithaca to peddle his unique brand of alternative rock. With Dave Matthews and Ben Folds both professing to be fans of his former band and his solo work, you can be assured that this man is a musician’s musician and is not to be taken lightly.

Correction: An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated that Rem Koolhaas’ lecture is Friday at Bailey Hall. In fact, it will be 5:15 p.m. Thursday at Bailey Hall.