Daniel Haber: Leading the Charge Off the Bench

In what has been a very successful season for the men’s soccer team, no individual has stood out more than sophomore forward Daniel Haber.

After a freshman year with some highlights but disappointing results, Haber has come out on fire this season, leading the team with seven goals in 12 games. Even more remarkable is that three of those goals were game winners in 1-0 victories over St. Joseph’s, Penn and Colgate.

Still, Haber is more excited about the team’s success than his own.

“I came into the season with team goals,” he said. “We wanted to be better as a team this year, and so far we’ve done a great job.”

Haber has played a huge role in the team’s success, but he could not have done so without strong players around him, he said.

“It has been a great team effort, and I think the biggest factor is that we aren’t playing from behind,” he said. “I’ve been really lucky that the defense has held up and not given up [many] goals, which has opened up a lot of gaps for the offense.”

In the off-season, Haber worked on his fitness, which has also contributed to the team’s success.

“Our fitness plays a big part. As we get deep into the second half … we’re more fit than the other team, so space opens and chances happen.”

Although Haber comes off the bench, he doesn’t believe it affects his play.

“I don’t think coming off the bench matters at all,” he said. “We have a rotation of forwards and other teams know not to look too much into who’s starting.”

Haber feels like he is now fulfilling the potential he has always seen in himself.

“I was brought to Cornell to be a goal scorer and produce goals,” he said. “This year I’ve been able to do what I knew inside I was capable of doing.”

Still, Haber and the team are not satisfied.

“We’re happy with what we’ve done, but not satisfied,” he said. “We want to win the Ivy League championship. After every win we say, ‘That was great, but we want more.’”

Original Author: Ben Horowitz