M. HOCKEY | Freshmen, Captains Prove Key in Preseason Win Over Carleton

Cornell continued its winning streak into the second game of the weekend, topping Carleton, 5-1, in a one-sided win and bolstering the Red’s confidence for its season opener against Mercyhurst on Saturday. The Red out-shot the Ravens (4-1-5, 3-0-2 Ottawa University Athletics) 41-to-13, and went 2-for-10 on the power play without a specific special teams squad.The first period opened with relatively even play, but a boarding penalty on Carleton center Joe Pleckaitis put the Ravens at a disadvantage early on. The Canadian team killed off the penalty successfully, and the scoreboard would continue to show zeros until Cornell freshman winger Joel Lowry went upper left on Carleton third-year goalie Ryan Dube with just 20.7 seconds left before the first break. Senior center and assistant captain Sean Collins was credited with his first of two assists on the night, with the second coming less than four minutes later on a goal by freshman center Cole Bardreau.  “Our success comes from getting the puck in the middle and finding open ice,” Collins said of his line on Saturday.Cornell welcomed 10 new freshman to the team for the 2011 season, and after just two weeks of practice, the underclassmen are already earning points regularly. Bardreau scored on Friday and Saturday, and freshman are currently featured on three of four offensive lines and two of three defensive lines for the Red.  “It’s been amazing so far. I can’t wait to play in front of the regular season crowd”, Lowry said of his first two games in front of the Lynah Faithful.Carleton earned two quick penalties at the beginning of the second for cross-checking and hooking, and the Red successfully capitalized on its 5-on-3 advantage. Bardreau’s second goal of the weekend from the top of the circle was followed by a similar play at 5:02 into the second, which set up junior defenseman Braden Birch to put one through Dube’s five hole, extending Cornell’s lead, 3-0. Ryan Downey answerer back for Carleton with three shots in the first on Cornell sophomore goaltender Any Iles at point blank range. Midway through the same period, the Ravens went on their second power play of the night, and a hard shot and rebound attempt by Downey forced a butterfly save by Iles at 11:39 that sent the goalie’s stick flying, resulting in tussling around the net. Cornell would score again before the end of the second.Soon after, junior goaltender Omar Kanji would step between the pipes, defending the net until freshman Vincenzo Marozzi took his place in the third. Kanji was not tested, and Marozzi stopped five of six shots. Head coach Mike Schafer ’86 was pleased to get all three goalies playing experience this weekend, but noted, “Andy is our No. 1. We know that as a coaching staff.” The Ravens stuck with Dube through the battle, and the net minder stopped 31-of-36 Cornell shots on goal.The Ravens successfully avoided a shutout on a skillful shot from fourth-year Brandon MacLean who beat Marozzi upper left, lighting the torch before sliding into the net himself. MacLean was assisted by Ryan Berard and Graham Klassen. The goal came shortly after Cornell’s fifth and final goal at 4:41 by junior center Erik Axell on the power play. In total, Carleton took 13 penalties in the 60-minute game, while Cornell was assessed only three.  “You always have to be careful [to play safe] when a team gets frustrated,” said senior defenseman and captain Keir Ross.  “We stayed disciplined and did not hit from behind or facilitate penalties,” Schafer added.Cornell begins regular season play on Saturday against Mercyhurst at home at 7pm. “We have a few bumps and bruises, but overall we are healthy,” Ross said. “I am really excited for next weekend.”  The Red commences ECAC play on Nov. 4 against Yale in New Haven, Conn.

Original Author: Rob Moore