Arts Around Ithaca: Week of January 23

Call Me Waldo, opens Wednesday at the Kitchen Theater: Transcendentalism tries on a blue collar in the world premiere of Rob Ackerman’s new play, Call Me Waldo. When an electrician’s assistant, Lee Fountain, starts spouting the words of the great American essayist Ralph Waldo Emerson, everyone has their own theories about what’s going on. Lee’s irritable boss, Gus, is convinced that the usually low-key Lee is going through a breakdown. Lee’s wife Sarah and her friend Cynthia, a doctor ever-ready to give advice, end up dissecting much more than Lee’s behavior.  This modern love story about the workingman, words and transformation shows that mid-life ennui is hardly, boring. Tickets are available from www.kitchentheatre.org. — Sun Staff

Jason Moran and Dave Holland, 8 p.m. on Saturday at Barnes Hall:  Multi-award-winning jazz musicians Jason Moran and Dave Holland of the Overtone Quartet shake things up and showcase their musical legacy in their rare appearance as a duo. From danceable grooves to witty jazz standards, this intimate meeting of Moran’s sparkling intuition and Holland’s “untroubled sense of leadership”, according to The New York Times, promises to be a lot of fun. Moran, a MacArthur Fellow and the Kennedy Center’s artistic advisor for jazz, last played Cornell in 2008 with The Big Bandwagon. Expect nothing less than unassailable genius as these masters take to the stage. Tickets are available at $35 for adults and $25 for students from  www.baileytickets.com or Ticket Center Ithaca, 171 The Commons.  — Sun Staff

Lines of Control, till April 1 at the Johnson Museum: Divided we stand? Lines can create and destroy, as these eclectic international artists show through an equally eclectic range of media. Over forty works probe trauma and memory in partitioned areas, from 1947 India to present-day North and South Korea. Part of an ongoing project by the London-based arts group Green Cardamom, this exhibition explores how drawing lines can be a seductively simple substitute for learning how to live with others. Singers Peni Candra Rini and Jessika Kenney, along with the Cornell Avant Garde Ensemble, musically respond to the exhibited works. All lines will be crossed as these musicians fearlessly delve into the traditional and experimental, composed and improvised. — Sun Staff

Cornell Glee Club, 8p.m. on Tuesday at Sage Chapel: Back from a winter break tour across the Midwest, the Cornell University Glee Club starts the semester off on a positive note. Truly, for each song contain a theme of “conflict and reconciliation.” The concert features a mix of classical repertoire and some Cornell standards for an affirming exhibition. A commissioned work by Shulamit Ran, Sonnet ’73, will be featured. Official Glee Club a capella group, The Hangovers, will spice up the evening too, and it is all set to start at 8 p.m. at Sage Hall. Tickets are available at the door, $15 for adults and $5 for students. — Sun Staff

Other Events/Features On and Around Campus Throughout the Week:

Rubblebucket at Castaways at 10pm on Jan 26, Thursday: They’ve been dubbed one of 2011’s most promising young bands, but the label’s not quite right; their second album Omega La La proves they’re already way better than that. Watch these hippies take over the city in neon war paint.

The Xcavators at Castaways at 10pm on Jan 28, Saturday: Old school ska, with a pinch of Latin America and the Carribean. Don’t miss it if you’re up for a heady weekend. — Sun Staff

Original Author: Sun Staff