Men’s Lacrosse Clinches Season Opener With Five-Point Win Margin Over Binghamton

After waiting three extra days  after its first game of the season was postponed due to bad weather, the men’s lacrosse team hit Schoellkopf Field’s turf on Tuesday afternoon with just one goal in mind: to win. The Red was led by senior captain Rob Pannell, who exploded on the field, recording a career-high 10 points on six goals and four assists — lifting the No. 3/7 Cornell to a 17-12 victory over Binghamton.Pannell surpassed his previous career high of four goals in a game, a mark which he hit four times in his previous three seasons with the Red. The senior also extended his national-lading point scoring streak to 53 games. Pannell is now the sixth Cornell men’s lacrosse player to reach the 100 career goal mark. Pannell finished the night with 102 career goals to his name, as well as 246 points, which places him within 10 points of Eamon McEneaney ’77 who currently sits at second place on the school’s scoring list.Pannell’s precision was spot on Tuesday, as he netted a pair of goals within the short span of six minutes — the fastest any player has scored back-to-back goals in Cornell program history.With the win, the Red increased its home-opener wins to 14; however, the accomplishment was not an easy feat, as Binghamton led the game as late as the final five minutes of the third quarter. A six goal scoring spree was the Red’s saving grace for the day.Other players to score for the Red were juniors Steve Mock, Connor English and Max Van Bourgondien, freshman Matt Donovan and seniors Chris Langton, J.J. Gilbane and Scott Austin.Cornell returns to action, hosting Army at 1 p.m. at Schoellkopf Field on Saturday.

Original Author: Lauren Ritter