Arts Around Ithaca: Week of April 2

The Sun Staff previews the week’s events on campus and around Ithaca.

Spring Awakening, 8 p.m. on Thursday at Risley Theatre: Spring Awakening, a musical presented by the Melodramatics Theatre Company, Inc., will be running at Risley Theatre for the next two weeks. The musical is a rock adaptation of Frank Wedekind’s play of the same name, and features music by Duncan Sheik and lyrics by Stephen Sater. The story follows a group of teenagers living in 1890s Germany who have been prevented from learning about sex their whole life, yet once they hit puberty they take extreme — and explicit — action to come to terms with their primal desires. Directed by Amina Omari, this infamous and widely-banned show is sure to enthrall the audience, and is not to be missed. — Clio Chang

Rasputina and Daniel Knox, 9 p.m. on Thursday at Castaways: In 1989, Melora Creager placed an ad in a local newspaper looking for other female cellists to form a cello based rock band. Julia Kent responded, launching what, in one form or another, became Rasputina: a talented, idiosyncratic band drawn together by its members’ love for historical allegory — they dress in Victorian costume — as well as their common instrument, the cello. The group has released eight albums and toured with many different bands during their existence.  Rasputina will be supported by pianist Daniel Knox. After stealing away to the Hilton Tower’s grand ballroom to teach himself how to play the piano, Knox has never stopped creating dark and rich soundscapes. — Joey  Anderson

Working, 8 p.m. on Tuesday through Saturday at Clark Theatre, Ithaca College: Working is “an art,” waitress Dolores Dante sings. Working is hard, but it’s also inescapable and redemptive. The 25 other workers featured in the show, from housewives to truckers, would undoubtedly agree. Stephen Schwartz, the man behind hit musicals like Wicked and Godspell, has turned journalist Stud Turkel’s novel about the American worker into a musical extravaganza. The musical revisited Broadway in 2011, after its original run in 1978. The play’s critical success is unsurprising, given its star-studded team of songwriters, including Grammy winner James Taylor. If you’ve ever had a hard day’s night, this musical is for you. — Daveen KohCU Music: Hans Davidsson, 8 p.m. on Tuesday at Anabel Taylor Hall: Prof. Hans Davidsson, music, Eastman School of Music, has taught organ all around the world, from the School of Music at Göteborg University, Sweden, to his current home in Rochester, New York. His dissertation defending Baroque composer Matthias Weckmann led him to earn the first doctorate in music performance in Sweden. He will perform at Anabel Taylor Hall on Tuesday, celebrating the works of George Böhm and Arvo Pärt with a visual accompaniment choreographed and danced by his sons, Gabriel and Jonathan Davidsson, and Stacey Campar. A Baroque performance with this level of talent is an increasing rarity and should be cherished by all music aficionados. — Zachary Zahos

Original Author: Sun Staff