Softball Team Takes On Brown, Yale this Weekend

The softball team is coming off a heartbreaking eight-inning home loss to Albany after starting the game off with a quick 5-1 lead. This weekend the Red is back on the road, heading first to Providence, RI for a double-header with Brown and then to New Haven, Conn. for a series with the Yale Bulldogs.

This will be the Red’s (12-13, 3-1 Ivy League) first conference weekend on the road, and the squad is looking to snap a two game losing streak after being swept by Albany. However, the team has won three straight conference games — its only hiccup being in the Ivy opener against Harvard.

Cornell picked up its offense as of late, batting .321 over a nine game stretch to raise its season total to .259. As a team, the Red has also gone yard 26 times. Seniors Morgan Cawley and Kristen Towne are leading the team at .341 and .306 respectively. Sophomore infielder Jenny Edwards and senior infielder Erin Keene both have five long balls.

The Bears (5-13, 2-2) just swept Columbia, after dropping their first two conference games to Penn. Brown will be led offensively by Stephanie Thompson, who is batting .544 with a team high 17 RBI’s.

The struggling Bulldogs (7-17, 1-3) have lost four straight games. Only one Yale starter is batting over .300.

The Red will likely throw the combination of senior Lauren Marx, sophomore Alyson Onyon, senior Jenna Stoller and freshman Brittany Sutton on the mound this weekend. Marx and Onyon lead the staff with a combined 10 wins and 2.08 and 3.56 ERA’s respectively.

After the four Ivy games this weekend, the Red will return home for a non-conference midweek matchup with Syracuse.

Original Author: Scott Chiusano