DIY DINER: The Best Munchies Ever

This year, April 20 fell on a Friday. It’s a wonderful day on which people of all different ages, races, and demographics come together on common ground. I spent 4/20, as well as the rest of the weekend, in a nebulous haze, not entirely sure of what was actually real and what was merely a figment of my imagination. Of the parts of the weekend that I can remember clearly…well, let’s just say that this is not what my parents are paying my tuition for.

Considering that I am now a week behind on my schoolwork and about twenty pounds heavier (this may or may not be an exaggeration, but I’m literally too scared to actually step on the scale), I’ll be the first to admit that I celebrated this weekend in excess. Maybe I could’ve done without the $200 worth of Oreos, frosted animal crackers and sour gummy worms that one of my housemates bought using her leftover BRBs; or perhaps I didn’t need to order in for every single meal of every day. I mean, whatever…YOLO, right? The one positive thing that I can take away from my gluttonous binge-eating this weekend is that I was introduced to the amazingness of Kilpatrick’s Brew City Onion Rings.

My friends and I started to hardcore crave some juicy burgers and fries, but we weren’t about to get up and make the one-minute walk to Rulloff’s. Instead, we logged onto Ithaca To Go and ordered from Kilpatrick’s Publik House; located on East Seneca Street, it’s far enough that we could feel justified in getting the food delivered to our lazy asses.

Once the grub arrived, I was literally in heaven. I ate like a maniac, blindly and without knowing exactly what I was shoveling into my mouth, but I paused when I bit into one of Kilpatrick’s onion rings. The rings were covered in a batter made with stout, and had a crispy, non-greasy texture to them. The Guinness-stout whole-grain mustard sauce that accompanied these delicious morsels complemented the rings perfectly without producing an overpowering beer taste. Kilpatrick’s Brew City Onion Rings are now among the topmost delectable fried foods I have ever had, and I’m going to teach you how to make them in your own kitchen! (Sorry in advance for the thousands of excess calories this recipe is going to lead you to consume…)

Kilpatrick’s-Style Beer-Battered Onion Rings

1 large onion1 cup all-purpose flour¼ cup cornstarch½ tablespoon baking powder1 teaspoon garlic powder1 tablespoon Dijon mustard1 can of stout or Guinness (14.9-oz)2-3 cups vegetable or canola oil

Directions

Original Author: Michelle Kim