Top 25 Seniors of 2011-2012

With over 1,200 varsity athletes at Cornell, about 220 of which are seniors, it was certainly difficult to narrow the list down to our Top 25. Perhaps even more of a challenge was selecting The Sun’s Top Male and Female Athlete of the Year from a class of such talented student-athletes. At an institution with the academic rigors of Cornell, the accomplishments of this entire senior class are truly something to be celebrated. And celebrate we shall. The entirety of today’s sports section is dedicated to you, the seniors, who after four long years achieved more than many will in a lifetime. The hard work that you have all put in over these past four years makes covering Cornell athletics for our daily newspaper an absolute pleasure.

Sidra Bonner (Women’s Soccer, Defense)

The senior defender was named to the All-Ivy League Second Team for the second straight year. She had seven shots and four shots on goal while starting all 16 games of the season.

Alex Botte (Field Hockey, Goalkeeper)

The coaching chose Botte, a co-captain this season, to be honored with the team’s Sportsmanship, Leadership and Determination award. She shares the Cornell all-time leader in career victories honor at 19 and ranks eighth overall for shutouts in a career with four. Botte was named to the NFHCA National Academic Squad all four years at Cornell — only the second player in school history to do so.

Rashad Campbell (Football, Defensive back)

Campbell had a strong senior campaign as a defensive back, leading the team in interceptions with four and in kick returns with 994 total yards. He was named to the second team for the ECAC Football Subdivision All-Star Team and received Ivy League Special Teams Player of the Week after his 85 yard kickoff return against Colgate.

Morgan Cawley (Softball, Infielder)

Last season was her first as a starter for the Red but this PA native has quite made up for it this year. Currently, she is batting .265 and has a strong fielding percentage of .980. A highlight of her season was a match against Penn on April 20 when she went 2-for-3, providing Cornell with the best offensive performance of the game.

Tiffany Chen (Gymnastics, Vault/Uneven bar/Floor)

This season, Chen was named second-team All-American after completing a stellar bar routine. Last season, Chen was the team’s top scorer on the vault, which earned her USAG All-America accolades as well.

Sean Collins (Men’s Hockey, Forward)

Serving as alternate captain, Collins had a breakout season with 26 points – the team’s second highest – of 13 goals and 13 assists. These stats earned him the Sam Woodside Award from his team. Collins was signed by the NHL’s Columbus Blue Jackets after the season ended, and has already racked up a goal and four assists in just eight games with the Blue Jacket’s AHL affiliate, the Springfield Falcons.

Alex Domenick (Men’s Squash)

After finishing the season with an 8-4 record, Domenick was named to the All-Ivy League First Team. The senior helped carry his team to a historic upset over No. 3 Yale this season with a win at the No. 2 spot.

Tim Dooley (Sprint Football, Linebacker)

Dooley was named to the Academic All-Ivy Team as a linebacker. He had one interception on the season and was second on the team in tackles with 44. He played in all seven of the Red’s games this season.

Rebecca Hirschfield (Fencing, Foil)

As captain of the squad this season, Hirschfeld put forth Top-10 efforts in foil at the NCAA Regionals, which enabled her to qualify for the 2012 NCAA championships. On March 13 at the Brandeis Invitational, she led the foil squad to go undefeated for the day, with a personal record of 12-2, beating all of her opponents.

Nick Huber (Track & Field, Decathalon)

Huber has had a standout season for Cornell this year. He broke his own school record at Ithaca College, scoring 5,550 points – currently making him the 14th- best performance in the NCAA this year and the third-best hep in Ivy League history.

Erin Keene (Softball, Infielder)

Last season Keene moved from second base to shortstop to further her power and influence in the middle of the Diamond for the Red. Currently, she is batting .286 and remains a force to be reckoned with. One of her most notable appearances this season was April 3 against Albany, where she, along with junior Erin Bellese, knocked one out to give the Red a fighting chance against the Great Danes.

Chandler Kemp (Men’s Cross Country)

While Kemp was originally a walk-on, he finished in the team’s top five in five of six races as a senior and served as the team captain. He finished 50th at the NCAA Northeast regionals with a time of 32:27.4 11/12, the fourth fastest on the Red. His senior season started off with a second place finish at the Army-Binghamton meet, and he later placed 10th at the Colgate Invitational and 18th at the Princeton Invite.

Jimmy Lannon (Men’s Soccer, Midfielder)

Lannon served as captain of the record-breaking men’s soccer team for his senior season. He finished with 9 points overall (1 goal, 7 assists) the second most on the team. Lannon will continue to serve as a leader for men’s soccer when he returns as the undergraduate student assistant coach next season.

Alex Lavin (Golf)

Lavin put up strong performances for the team at the Century Intercollegiate Match and the Home Invitational. He shot an 81 and 84, respectively, in the two matches and his team finished seventh and eighth.

Brandon Lee (Baseball, Catcher)

Senior catcher Lee has been a solid force for the Red as it enters the Ivy League Championship Series this weekend. Currently, Lee is hitting .305 and is third in the score sheets for best offensive play this season. One of his season highlights was when he went 3-for-5 with a double against Yale to help Cornell take the game, 8-6, on April 8.

Cecelia Madsen (Women’s Rowing)

Madsen has rowed on the first Varsity 8 for the past three years. On April 28, she helped lead the Red to back-to-back Parents Cup victories for the first time since the 2004 and 2005 seasons. During her sophomore year, Madsen was honored as a CRCA All Mid-Atlantic Region first-team selection.

Amanda Mazzotta (Women’s Hockey, Goalkeeper)

Rob Pannell (Men’s Lacrosse, Attack)

Pannell battled through an injury in his senior season with the Red. In the games he played, Pannell was on track to break NCAA records scoring 16 points over just two games. This year he was drafted by the Long Island Lizards and was the number 1 pick overall in the 2012 Major League Lacrosse Collegiate Draft.

Madeline Pryzbyl (Volleyball, Middle blocker)

Przybyl earned both second-team All-Ivy honors and the team’s MVP award this season. She finishes the year with team second-best records in kills per set (2.40) and hitting percentage (.211). Pryzbyl also ranks third on the team in blocks per set (.072), and 16th overall in program history for career block assists at 116.

Kier Ross (Men’s Hockey, Defenseman)

Ross served as the Red’s captain this past season, posting two goals and five assists along with a + 15 rating, the highest of his career and amongst the other defenseman for the past two years. He was awarded both the Bill Doran Sportsmanship Award and the Mark Weiss Memorial Award, an honor reserved the most dedicated and passionate seniors. Ross was also one of 10 Lowe’s Senior CLASS Award finalists.

Bronwyn Scrivens (Equestrian, Open)

At the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association’s Zone 2 Championships, Scrivens finished second in the the Cacchione Cup competition. This performance qualified her for the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association national championship. She will be competing in IHSA Nationals this weekend  in Raleigh, N.C.

Melanie Standridge (Gymnastics, Beam)

In her career with the Red, Standridge has been a dominant member of the team and a leader on the beam. Throughout her career she become a three-time USAG All-American and 2011 USAG national champion.

Jessi Steinberg (Women’s Lacrosse, Attack)

The senior attacker has put up impressive numbers again this season. She leads the team in all offensive categories with 44 goals and 20 assists. She was a unanimous selection to the All-Ivy First Team and was also recently nominated for the prestigious Tewaarton Award.

Jim Voter (Men’s Heavyweight Rowing)

Voter serves as co-commodore this season. He rows with the first varsity 8, and on April 21, helped lead the Red to its first Carnegie Cup since 2009 with upsets over Yale and Princeton. Last year he represented the United States in the men’s straight four at the World Rowing Under 23 Championships, where he contributed to the team’s sixth place finish.

Chris Wroblewski (Men’s Basketball, Point guard)

Wroblewski ends a storied career with the Red this year as Cornell’s all-time leader in assists. He also led the team in scoring with 11.5 and was named to the Capital One Academic All-America Third Team. Wroblewski earned All- Ivy league honors after his final season during which he reached the 1,000 point milestone.

Original Author: Sun Staff