July 15, 2012

A Fresh Perspective

When I ripped open the envelope containing my copy of The Sun’s freshman issue three years ago, the contents were somewhat shocking. The letters and pamphlets that I had received from Cornell all painted a rosy picture of what the University was like. Conversations with students on campus during a visit were mostly superficial. Before I read the freshman issue, I was unaware of the extent to which Cornell was ravaged by the 2008 financial crisis or plagued by suicides.

As you, too, will discover after perusing this issue, Cornell is not always the paradise that admissions booklets make it out to be. While it is true that amazing things happen here every day, and while these next four years will likely be some of the most memorable and enjoyable you will have in your life, the reality is that Cornell can sometimes fall short of expectations.

Just because Cornell is imperfect, though, doesn’t mean it is not perfectible. Soon, your class, the class of 2016, will be the leaders on campus charged with working to make this place the best it can possibly be. Many of you may become part of the Greek system, charged with removing hazing from the new member education process. Some of you will be the ones on the Gorge Safety committee working to prevent deaths in the gorges. Others still will work to improve additional aspects of the Cornell experience.

The Sun will be here through the next four years to give you an unfiltered account of life in Ithaca and at Cornell, including both the good and the bad. Making this place better may be difficult, but hopefully, with the unbiased accounts of life at Cornell that The Sun provides, you will be better armed to live up to that challenge.

—J.C.F.