July 18, 2012

Stanford Dean Named to Top Post at CornellNYC Tech Campus

A dean at Stanford University will become the new vice president for development at Cornell’s NYCTech campus, the University said Thursday.

Sharon Marine, currently an associate dean for external relations at Stanford’s Graduate School of Business, will “lead all fundraising efforts” for the tech campus, according to Cornell. Stanford was widely considered the University’s chief competition in New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s tech campus contest, and Cornell’s new campus is expected to challenge Stanford’s prestigious place in the field of the applied sciences.

“[Marine] not only appreciates the importance of the entrepreneurial spirit, she also fully embraces the campus’ mission to combine global academic leadership with real world impact, through commercial success and through social good. We are delighted to have her on board,” Dan Huttenlocher, dean of the Cornell NYC Tech campus, said in a University press release.

On Dec. 19, the University won the right to construct its proposed 2 million square foot campus, which will house almost 2,000 graduate students and about 250 professors. The project is expected to take 30 years to complete and cost as much as $2 billion.

Marine’s appointment is the latest in a series of University announcements regarding newly hires at the campus. Earlier this summer, the University announced that former Twitter executive Greg Pass will become the school’s founding entrepreneurial officer. It later named Prof. Deborah Estrin, computer science, its first professor.

Check cornellsun.com for updates on this breaking story.

Original Author: Jeff Stein