The Cataracs Will Headline Arts Quad Concert Kick-Off

Hip-hop indie duo The Cataracs will get the party started during Orientation Week at this year’s free concert on the Arts Quad, the Cornell Concert Commission announced Thursday.

The Los Angeles-based group will take the stage on Aug. 25, the Saturday of Orientation Week, as performers Super Mash Bros. and The White Panda have done in previous years.

The Cataracs, comprised of David “Campa” Benjamin Singer-Vine and Nile “Cyrano” Hollowell-Dar, have had mainstream success with songs such as “Like a G6.” That track reached number one on the Billboard Music Charts.

The group’s other hit songs include “Bass Down Low” and “In The Dark.” They are currently on tour promoting their latest EP, “Gordo Taqueria.”

The Melker Project, an outfit created by D.J. and Producer Scott Melker, will open for The Cataracs. Melker is a mash-up artist known for using vinyls and turntables rather than computers.

According to CCC President Dave Rodriguez ’13, the organization decided that The Cataracs and The Melker Project would be a great fit for the outdoor show, which “feels much more like a party” than a typical CCC concert.

“At our free show, we don’t have the 5,000 person limit of Barton Hall, so we can get a much bigger crowd out,” Rodriguez said. “What better way could there be to start off the semester than a giant party on the Arts Quad?”

For the past two years, CCC has seen an “amazing” turnout at the free concerts, with about 9,000 people in attendance at The White Panda last year, according to Rodriguez.

“I’m hoping that people are just as excited for The Cataracs, and I would love to break 10,000 this year,” he said.

Original Author: Liz Camuti