Elderly Woman Killed in Car Crash Involving Cornell Graduate Student

A 94-year-old woman was killed after two cars collided Monday on Route 79 in the Town of Dryden. The accident involved a Cornell graduate student.

Myra F. Moran was taken to Cayuga Medical Center, where she was declared dead. Two other passengers in the other vehicle were airlifted to hospitals nearby, according to New York State Police. The State Police is investigating the accident. Neil Sexton grad was driving westbound on State Route 79 in a 2012 Chevrolet Equinox when he veered into the eastbound lane, hitting the 2002 Chrysler minivan Moran was riding in, police said.

Sexton declined to comment on the incident in light of ongoing investigations.

“I’m not at liberty to comment on this at this time since the investigation is still ongoing and I have been instructed not to talk to anyone [about this],” he said.Sexton said he sprained his hip as a result of the accident.

“The pain kind of sucks, but I have Advil,” he said.According to Claudia Wheatley, director of press relations, “University officials are aware of the incident and are providing support to the Cornell students and staff who were involved.”Laraine Ericson, her son and Moran were in the minivan at the time of the accident. While Moran sustained fatal injuries as a result of the crash, Ericson and her son were transported to Robert Packer Hospital in Sayre, Pa., to be treated for abdominal pain and a fractured wrist, according to police.Two other passengers were in Sexton’s car at the time of the accident. While Sexton was taken to Cayuga Medical Center due to abrasions to his legs and hips, the other two passengers were airlifted via helicopters to Upstate Medical Center in Syracuse and Robert Packer Hospital for injuries to their backs, tailbones and torsos, police said.The ongoing investigation is being carried out jointly by the Tompkins County Sheriff’s Department, the fire departments of Brooktondale and Ithaca and Bangs and Slaterville Ambulances.

Original Author: Utsav Rai