Student Allegedly Hit by Egg, Racial Epithets From Passing SUV

A student walking through the heart of Cornell’s campus late Tuesday night was allegedly struck by an egg before being taunted with what he believes were racial epithets related to his Hispanic ethnicity, according to a statement released by the University Wednesday.

The victim said the attack came from a passing car with two or three white occupants, according to Cornell’s statement. They were reportedly driving a “newer-style” white SUV, the statement said.

The Cornell police department is investigating the incident, though a search of the area and interviews with the victim did not lead police to locate the vehicles or the suspects, Cornell said. CUPD is soliciting help from the public to learn more about the reported attack, which is said to have occurred at about 10:50 p.m. at the intersection of University Avenue and Central Avenue.

“Cornell condemns, in the strongest terms, all actions that threaten the safety of its community members,” the statement added.

Tuesday’s alleged attack is the second reported race-related attack in under one week. On Sunday, multiple Cornell students were allegedly verbally and physically assaulted in Collegetown, prompting Mayor Svante Myrick ’09 and President David Skorton to condemn the incident.

Original Author: Jeff Stein