Arts Around Ithaca (Week of Sept 4)

Mingle Monster / The Dark Side of the Room, Tuesday to Friday at the Olive Tjaden Gallery: “Artist statements are all the same, like so much kindling.” This is the premise of  the new installation by Gaby Wolodarski M.F.A. ’13. The new installation promises to challenge viewers’ expectations; it rebels against the kitsch and gimmicks of the modern artist. Wolodarksi’s past installations, including Home Away from Home Away from Home and Unidentified Agent Entries — End of Report, experiment with perspective and distort themes of everyday life to display the alternate reality within. There will be a reception on Thursday from 5 to 7 p.m. at Olive Tjaden Gallery. — Sam Bromer

Mad Men at the Museum, 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. on Friday at The Johnson Museum of Art:  AMC’s television drama, Mad Men, channels quintessential 1960s culture. The show is a haze of burning cigarettes, corner offices filled with powerful men in well-tailored suits and savvy secretaries with a flair for hair spray, red lipstick and fabulous shoes. It recognizes the glamor of the decade and the epitome of the era: class. On Friday, Cornell students will be able to experience an evening of music, film and art from the Mad Men period served alongside mocktails and other refreshments. The event, organized by The Johnson Musueum Club is free and for students only. Those attending are urged to dress in appropriate wear for the period. — Mary Jarvis

The Passion of Joan of Arc at 8 p.m. on Thursday, Reception Begins at 7:15 p.m. at Sage Chapel: The first feminist will never die.  To celebrate Joan of Arc’s 600th anniversary, Cornell Cinema is holding a free screening of Carl Theordor Dreyer’s masterpiece. Joan of Arc’s legend is survived by this silent movie that twists the preconceived notions of what a drama should be and plucks at the heartstrings.  The stark shots and angles pioneered in this film are often considered the hallmarks of modern cinema. These techniques bring to life Joan of Arc’s struggle with charges of heresy, levelled against her by the church.  The free screening begins with a reception at 7:15 p.m. in the North Courtyard. Prof. Don Fredericksen, film, will introduce this cinema classic. — Gaby Velkes

Frankie and Johnny in the Clair De Lune, August 29 to September 16 at The Kitchen Theatre: Two lovers grasp for respite from the desolation of middle age in the Rachel Lampart-directed production of Terrence McNally’s Frankie and Johnny in the Clair De Lune. The play opens in darkness as we find the title characters in throes of passion after what turns out to be their first date. In the wake of their one-night stand, Johnny, a short-order fry cook at a local dive, and Frankie, his waitress-companion, reflect on lives gone awry as they search for a connection that may or may not exist. Sharply funny and relentlessly honest, this commentary on romance should not be missed.  — Sam Bromer

AER at 9:30 p.m. on Friday at The Haunt, doors open at 8:30 p.m.: There’s not a lot that the duo of David von Mering and Carter Schultz don’t  do. They offer a fairly balanced combination of reggae, pop, indie rock, and a bit of rap.  AER plays a significant portion of their set acoustically, boasting exquisite riffs on guitar and voice. Their debut album The Bright Side came out in July following the success of their first single “Floats my Boat,” as well as their EP What You Need which topped the iTunes hip-hop charts. Their show is not one to be missed miss: after touring colleges for several years, the duo have earned enough recognition to open for such superstars as Mac Miller, Shwayze, Hoodie Allan and Cris Crab. AER appears in Ithaca with hip-hop openers Yonas from New York City and rapper Captaincy from Oakland, C.A. — Kaitlyn Tiffany

Share this:EmailShare on Tumblr

Original Author: Sun Staff