Shannon McHugh ’12 Joins Lehigh Coaching Staff

On Thursday morning, Lehigh women’s lacrosse head coach Jill Redfern announced the hiring of former Red midfielder and co-captain Shannon McHugh ’12 as an assistant coach for the Mountain Hawks.

“We are proud to welcome [McHugh] to our Lehigh program,” Redfern told LehighSports.com. “She is an enthusiastic, bright young coach as well as a focused competitor. She will be a terrific role model for our student-athletes on and off the field.”

McHugh was a dominating force during her time in Ithaca, starting in the midfield for all four years for the Red. She graduated holding records for seventh-most draw controls (92) and shots on goal (138) in program history, as well as tying for eighth-most game-winning goals (4). McHugh earned 2012 Second-Team All-Ivy honors, as well as an All-Ivy Honorable Mention in 2011.

“I am really excited to join the staff at Lehigh,” McHugh told LehighSports.com. “I want to thank [Redfern] and [associate coach Kelley Putnam Necioglu] for such a great opportunity. I look forward to helping the program reach its full potential. I admire the athletes for their commitment to athletics as well as academics.”

McHugh will bring her leadership experience, as well as prowess on the field, to Lehigh’s program, where she will spend the majority of her time working with the Mountain Hawks’ goalkeepers and midfielders. After working as a lacrosse office assistant last spring, McHugh also gained experience with recruiting software, helping to plan practices, ordering equipment and planning  team travel.

Original Author: Lauren Ritter