X-COUNTRY | Red Kicks Off 2012 Season In Tri-Meet

After a summer’s worth of training, the men’s and women’s cross country teams are set to commence their season with a three-way meet with Army and Binghamton today at West Point.

Senior co-captain Katie Kellner was more than pleased with how hard the runner have been conditioning themselves up to this point.

“[Training has] been tremendous,” she said. “We’ve done big, difficult workouts as a team. We went out a couple miles outside of Ithaca and did 1.5 mile repeats, and it looked great.”

According to men’s cross country assistant coach Zeb Lang ’03, his team trained hard all summer and is now making a transition from its summer workout regimen to preparing for its first race.

“A lot of our top guys were running anywhere between 100 and 115 miles per week during the summer,” he said. “We’re starting to transition from some of the base training we did over the summer now into race mode.”

Women’s cross country head coach Artie Smith ’96 spoke about starting the season against Army, describing the tradition dating back to before his days running for Cornell.

“We’ve begun our season with Army since before I was a student here,” he said. “We’ve added Binghamton as a new school — it’s a three-way meet.”

According Kellner, the opening meet of the season offers an opportunity to evaluate where the team is coming out of the summer.

“The first meet is always important to see where everyone is,” she said. “It gives us a sense of where we’ll be for the rest of the season.”

Lang said that he is especially excited at the prospect of seeing where the newest members to the team are.

“It’s going to give me a great opportunity to evaluate some of my freshmen,” he said. “We’ve got a strong class of newcomers.”

For Kellner, the meet offers her the opportunity to return to the competitive racing that she said she loves to take part in.

“[I’m looking forward to] being able to race again,” she said. “I love racing, and I’m looking forward to have this chance to work out kinks before some more serious and competitive meets.”

Both the men’s and women’s teams have the potential to be very competitive this year. The women’s team enters the season with the No. 30-overall ranking nationwide.

According to Smith, the women are looking forward to the entire season.

“This group has high aspirations this season,” he said. “They were very successful last year and are doing a very good job of taking confidence from last year and looking ahead. They want to be very competitive nationally.”

Lang, one of the newest additions to the Red’s coaching staff, expressed how excited he is about starting the season, as well as the opportunity to coach for his Alma Mater.

“I’m really pumped about this team,” he said. “This is a special opportunity. I ran for Cornell and have graduated, and now to have the opportunity to come back and coach is just amazing.”

Original Author: Juan Carlos Toledo