Arts Around Ithaca (Week of Sept 10)

A Magical Méliès Evening, 8:30 p.m. on Thursday,  at the Willard Straight Memorial Room:

Flying to the moon has never been this easy. Relive the beginnings of film this Thursday as Cornell Cinema celebrates the work of the famous Georges Méliès. The French filmmaker created the world’s first fantasy films, some of which were featured in last year’s Martin Scorsese film Hugo. The tribute will feature Méliès’ most popular work, A Trip to the Moon, a 14-minute spectacle acknowledged as the first science-fiction film. Several other Méliès films will also be featured. The event is free to all new students and $5 for all others. Doors open at 8 p.m. — Yana Lysenko

The Trip to Bountiful, every day from Tuesday to its final performance Sunday, at the Hangar Theatre:

The Hangar Theatre presents its take on Horton Foote’s melancholy story about family, wanderlust and coming home in The Trip to Bountiful. This play depicts the story of Carrie Watts, an elderly Texan woman who wants nothing more than to leave bustling Houston and return to Bountiful, the small town where she grew up. Her attempts to return and find herself are repeatedly thwarted by her son and daughter-in-law until her determination finally prevails. This 1953 play was adapted into an award-winning 1985 film and is sure to resonate with anyone who has desperately wanted to return to childhood but is afraid that it might not be exactly what they remember. Tickets run $18 to $42 each. — Hannah Cashen

Josh Ritter, 8 p.m. on Saturday, at the State Theatre, September 15:

Folk troubadour Josh Ritter makes his triumphant return to Ithaca after a pair of sold-out shows at The Haunt in 2010. This time, Ritter will showcase his artistry downtown at the State Theatre. Ritter weaves a thoughtful style of storytelling through his rustic melodies, which are at once immediately accessible and delightfully complex. It is no surprise that Ritter’s folksy tunes recall the early work of Bob Dylan: Both artists are proud students of early folk music and Americana (at Oberlin College, for example, Ritter created his own major in “American History Through Narrative Folk Music”). Add this virtuosity to his fun, enthusiastic live performances, and it’s easy to see why Ritter’s run at the State shouldn’t be missed. — Samuel Bromer

Tia Fuller Quartet, 8 p.m. on Friday, at Bailey Hall:

Saxophonist Tia Fuller joins with pianist Shamie Royston, bassist Mimi Jones and drummer Terri Lyne Carrington to create the Tia Fuller quartet. Having worked as part of Beyonce’s band for five years, Fuller incorporates the happening beats of hip-hop with the smooth style of jazz. Praise for her albums Decisive Steps, Pillar of Strength and Healing Space abounds, with All About Jazz asserting that “Tia Fuller stakes her claim to being one of the finest new musicians on the scene.” As a musician and as an educator, Fuller has made her mark on the world of R&B and jazz, and is sure to give a rousing performance at Bailey Hall on Friday. — Lubabah Chowdhury

Share this:EmailShare on Tumblr

Original Author: Sun Staff