Cecelia Madsen ’12 Joins Rowing Coaching Staff

Hilary Gehman, the Staley Head Coach of Women’s Rowing, announced last week that former rower Cecelia Madsen ’12 would be an assistant coach for her the program during the 2012-13 season. The Ithaca native will primarily focus her time with the varsity squad, especially the third and fourth varsity boats.

“I’m thrilled that [Madsen] has joined the coaching staff and I know that she will continue to contribute to the program’s speed in her new role as an assistant coach for the Big Red,” Gehman said.

During her time at Cornell, Madsen was a commanding presence in the water. She stroked the Varsity 8 boat that finished 11th overall at the 2012 NCAA Women’s Rowing Championship, being named second-team CRCA All-American after her senior year. Madsen also helped the Red to a silver medal in the varsity eight race at the Ivy League Championship, earning second-team All-Ivy honors for the effort. Madsen was a two-time first-team CRCA All-Mid Atlantic Regional selection, being awarded the honor in both 2010 and 2012.

“[Madsen] was a key member of the team during her four years at Cornell,” Gehman said. “She stroked the top varsity boat for three seasons and was instrumental in helping the team get to NCAA’s last year.”

In her junior year with the Red, Madsen stroked the Varsity 8 boat to commanding wins over Harvard, Dartmouth and Yale. The crew consistency found itself in Top-20 rankings in the country, peaking as high as No. 10. Madsen stroked the varsity 8 as a sophomore and contributed her efforts to the Red as the team earned its first national ranking in five years, narrowly missing out on an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament.

The Red opens up its fall season on Oct. 13, when it participates at the Head of the Genesee Regatta in Rochester, N.Y.

Original Author: Lauren Ritter