Letter to the Editor: Safety First: The Need for EMT Training Courses

To the Editor:

Re: “After Woman Plunged 60 Feet, Cornell Student Acted to Prevent Gorge Tragedy” News, Sept. 4

Congratulations to the quick-thinking and bold students who helped avert a tragedy at the Six Mile Creek gorge this past Friday. As The Sun reported on Tuesday, the expertise of student Emergency Medical Technicians played a vital role in the initial care and treatment of a woman in a life-threatening condition in the gorge. Their actions embody what I have come to know of Cornell students in my short time here on campus. Each of the students that I have met, from freshmen to upperclassmen, are friendly, kind, caring and helpful; however, this event is about more than just the astute and caring nature of Cornellians. Without their EMT training, the students at the scene of this incident likely would not have been able to treat this woman as appropriately as they did. In this situation, students used their practical education to affect their world. It is my understanding that Cornell’s goal is to provide not just an academic experience, which is admittedly important, but an education in useful, practical and often life-saving skills. Is that not why the University maintains requirements such as a basic level of swimming competency? It is for this reason that I am surprised that Cornell no longers offers an EMT training class. When students are willing to learn life-saving skills that may likely be put into action not just during their four years here, but in their lifetime, they should be afforded that opportunity. I urge the University to reconsider past cuts in this area in light of the positive impact that such training and readiness has been shown to have on the entire campus community.

Jonathan Klus ’16