VOLLEYBALL | Cornell Falls to Columbia in First Ivy Match of the Season

The women’s volleyball team spent Cornell’s homecoming weekend in New York City at its first match against an Ivy League opponent. The Red lost to host Columbia in straight sets as its early season struggles continue.

Cornell (2-8, 0-1 Ivy League) was defeated by the Lions (6-4, 1-0 Ivy) 19-25, 15-25, 22-22 on Saturday afternoon. The Red had just a .146 hitting percentage, ten service errors and seven blocking errors. Leading Cornell was freshman Breanna Wong with 13 kills and just four errors with a .346 hitting percentage. Sophomore captain Kelly Reinke recorded 32 assists and nine digs to lead the Red.

“It was definitely a tough loss,” Reinke said. “We know we could have played better as a team and it was not the outcome we wanted.”

The outcome puts Cornell down one game in its season quest to win the Ivy League. 13 out of the Red’s next 15 games will be against Ivy League schools. The team plays its first home game this week on Tuesday against Colgate and then plays rivals Yale and Brown Friday and Saturday. The next time Cornell plays Columbia will be Oct. 20 at Newman Arena in Ithaca.

On the early season, Wong leads the offensive Cornell attack with 103 kills and averaging 2.78 kills per set. Junior captain Kelly Marble has been impressive from the service line with 19 aces and leading the team with a .51 aces per set average. Reinke is by far the team’s most valuable setter, handing out 336 assists. Senior Ana Vanjak leads the team with seven blocked shots.

Cornell will next play Tuesday at home against local rival Colgate. The Red leads the overall series 53-27-1, but will look to avenge last year’s lost in four sets.

Reinke and the team look to play well and earn some important practice time before their important matches this weekend.

“We are ready to get back in the gym and show how we can play on Tuesday,” she said.

Original Author: Scott Eckl